Leupold VX-3 Side Focus?

KyScott

Just wondering if the side focus is worth the extra cash on a VX-3. Thinking about getting a 4.5x14-50 CDS. Looking for experience with or with out a side focus on this particular scope. Does it really make that much of a difference? Is it that much clearer with it? If I get this scope it will be used any where from 50 to 600. Thanks and take care.

Just wondering if the side focus is worth the extra cash on a VX-3. Thinking about getting a 4.5x14-50 CDS. Looking for experience with or with out a side focus on this particular scope. Does it really make that much of a difference? Is it that much clearer with it? If I get this scope it will be used any where from 50 to 600. Thanks and take care.

Yes, the side focus is a better scope through and through. The capability to adjust for parallax is worth the price difference by itself, plus you get a 30mm tube scope which is sturdier with more elevation travel than the 1" version.

Looking for experience with or with out a side focus on this particular scope. Does it really make that much of a difference? Is it that much clearer with it? If I get this scope it will be used any where from 50 to 600. Thanks and take care.

Scott,

A standard (non-adjustable parallax) VX-3 has a parallax correction pre-set at 100yds. I didn't realize what optical advantage I was missing with my first LR scope, the VX-III 3.5-10x50, until I obtained the VX-6 3-18x50 (parallax adjustable).

Adjustable parallax not only gets you tack sharp FOV clarity at all ranges, but also locks in your rectile on your visual POI. Close in (50yds in \ 150-200yds out), Any head movement with my VX-III created errors in drilling the same hole. Now with my VX-6 parallax adjustment set, I can precisely place a POI where my non-moving fine duplex reticle is! Out beyond 300 yds, the parallax is not as critical, but adjustment in the VX-6 still has helped me to shoot .5 MOA groups at 600 yds!

Spend a few $$ more now and you will be well set for greater accuracy at your intended ranges!:)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.