Leupold VX-3 6.5-20

mrb1982

I am interested in one of these scopes for long range hunting only, no competitive stuff. I have patroled Leupold's non-user friendly website(in my opinion anyways), and done some searches here but haven't been finding any of the exact answer I wanted.

So here are some of my questions. How many MOA/rotation does a guy get on the elevation? Does it have any sort of zero stop capabilities?

I like the target dot a lot, one of my buddies hunts with one, but he doesn't take a ton of long shots with it. If anybody has any experience, is it too fine, not fine enough, any thoughts on it?

Those are reallly my main questions. I think it would be good for what I want, but the zero stop and MOA/rotation are my main questions. Thanks for the help.

I think I have finally found most of my answers.

It doesn't not have a zero stop from what I can tell, but has some micrometer feature to make sure you are on the proper revolution.

It appears to have 94MOA total elevation adjustment, plenty for my purposes.

The one question that I haven't got an answer to yet is how many MOA/revolution does it get? If anybody can tell me that, it would be greatly appreciated. I think in one place it said something about 12 and one it said 18, with two conflicting answers, I am not sure which, if either of them is correct. Thanks again.

Have you looked at the 30mm version?

I have, and that is what I want to buy.

I got the chance to handle one just like I would like to buy yesterday, with exception of the reticle I would like. Really liked the scope, and figured out it get's 15MOA/rotation on the turrets. I have also heard that you can get some plastic washers or something from Leupold to create a zero stop on it. Needless to say, when I get a thousand saved up, I think this scoop will meet my needs perfectly.

I checked mine...you are correct 15 MOA per complete revolution of the turret.

Also, I have the target dot in my 6.5-20 and 8.5-25. I really like them from long range shots. The only downfall to it is in low light conditions. It can be tricky to find the dot in the scope in these situations.

I checked mine...you are correct 15 MOA per complete revolution of the turret.

Also, I have the target dot in my 6.5-20 and 8.5-25. I really like them from long range shots. The only downfall to it is in low light conditions. It can be tricky to find the dot in the scope in these situations.

I kinda wondered that about the dot. If I didn't get the dot, I would get some pretty thin crosshairs anyways so their visibility would be tougher either way I am guessing.

The 50mm has 94, the 40mm has 90 in the 30mm side focus. I am not a real big fan of the target turrets on my hunting rigs, I really like the CDS dials. You can custom order different turrets, been told that they are working on the CDS system for that scope. Might be in 2013 lineup.

The 50mm has 94, the 40mm has 90 in the 30mm side focus. I am not a real big fan of the target turrets on my hunting rigs, I really like the CDS dials. You can custom order different turrets, been told that they are working on the CDS system for that scope. Might be in 2013 lineup.

I can't entirely disagree with you about the turrets, the CDS dials would be alright, but the problem for me is I would have to have 3 different sets because I hunt in three extremely different elevation/temp ranges. I am going to just keep the MOA turrets on and then once I get some good data gathered, it will be pretty easy to build charts for each area with the G7 calculator. With that said, if I hunted the same area every year, I would have a CDS dial.

As for the zero stop, I just took a red sharpie and colored the hash mark so I always know where zero is at a quick glance. Also the Burris signiture rings you can get the most out of your elevation. I myself like the fine duplex I use charts and I dont like the reticle with a cluttered picture at distance

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.