Leupold vs Vortex

Tough to even have the discussion because it ultimately becomes a "Which is better: Ford, Chevy, Dodge?"

Your eyes, budget, type of shooting, and experience with various grades of optics will lead you to your final decision. If all you've ever used is sub $200 scores, then a vx3 is a huge upgrade. If you're consistently shooting 300+ yards, you probably never considered a sub $200 scope.

I love leupold and don't much care for vortex unless it's the Razor line of products. In general, you get what you pay for - very evident with optics.
buy once cry once.....sub 200.00 optics are for kids guns and the 1 shot a decade casual hunter that would cry at a 300 yd shot

I only have 1 Vortex. A Viper. The glass is clear and it always shoots good at the range but the last 2 years hunting with it has caused me issues.
In a shooting position that is not ideal seeing thru the scope has really annoyed me. If my eye is not perfectly centered I can not see anything and if my eye is just the right distance away from the scope I can not see anything. I realize that being consistent with good technique is important but for me the Vortex just doesn't work.
I have a VX 5HD, a couple of Zeiss Conquest and some higher end scopes and have never had the problem I do with the Vortex. Gonna get rid of it, but that is just me.
I know other people that love theirs.
I dont plan on going back to any VX3 scopes either. But that is because of other reasons.
For a hunting scope, I highly recommend looking through a Vortex Razor Light Hunter before making your mind up about Vortex.

The Viper series doesn't compare.

there is a +/- adjust but lupolds are a pita to adjust vs a vortex that is simple turn out i fight that same issue on my 1.5-5 but its a me problem because it depends on which contacts i use...my colored contacts are 1 step stronger and field is clear but reticle goes out clear contacts same adjustment reticle gets wonky. i gave up its on a brush gun anyway
their old scopes you used to have the lock ring and unscrew or screw in the eye piece but their newer scopes adjust just like my vortex.

I've been trying to locate the vortex razor light Hunter to compare it to the leupold vx5 HD I've heard some increda blue story's about the vortex warranty. Has anyone had issues with the leupold warrenty

Ive looked through a number of vortex optics when Ive been in the market and never bought a vortex product. To my eyes I've never been blown away by the glass. Some of the feature combos are appealing but never enough so to go with meh glass. Id rather give up an illuminated reticle for better glass in the same price range.

Ive looked through a number of vortex optics when Ive been in the market and never bought a vortex product. To my eyes I've never been blown away by the glass. Some of the feature combos are appealing but never enough so to go with meh glass. Id rather give up an illuminated reticle for better glass in the same price range.
That's interesting.

I have 2 Leupold VX-5HDs and 2 VX-6HDs

I also have 4 Vortex Razor LH, Gen 1s.

I don't find the Vortex Razor LH glass quality to be lesser than the Leupold VX-5/6HD.

To each his own.

I've been trying to locate the vortex razor light Hunter to compare it to the leupold vx5 HD I've heard some increda blue story's about the vortex warranty. Has anyone had issues with the leupold warrenty
I have never had a warranty issue with any of my Vortex or Leupold scopes.

That said, I did buy a VX-6 second hand once that was missing the 50mm Alumina Objective flip up cap and I called Leupold about it to get the correct part number.

They did my one better and just sent me the cap. I may have paid shipping.

They were awesome on the phone and definitely made me a loyal customer.

I just bought a new Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 for a new build I'm putting together. So yeah, I'm a Leupold fan.

I also think that the Vortex Razor LH line is pretty great.

That's interesting.

I have 2 Leupold VX-5HDs and 2 VX-6HDs

I also have 4 Vortex Razor LH, Gen 1s.

I don't find the Vortex Razor LH glass quality to be lesser than the Leupold VX-5/6HD.

To each his own.
I think it could be a case of expectations. The internet is full of reviews saying that they are all kinds of the best thing ever. Nothing comes close. Game changer. Never felt that way when I had 1 in my hand.

Perhaps. I'm only saying that my eyes like the Razor LH glass and the VX-5/6 HD glass equally.

I have hunted quite a bit with both in all kinds of conditions and don't have a glass preference between the two.

I do, however, really like the Vortex G4 BDC reticle. The floating dot design feels right on game to me. That is obviously nothing more than a matter of preference. I like the Leupold Firedot too.

I have looked through some of Vortex's lower line glass and wouldn't put it on a rifle. I don't even like the Viper-PST line that most people feel is decent entry level glass.

I really like the leupold's for riflescopes. I have a viper on a rifle and its just fine too. One thing which is really great is this year I had a vortex spotting scope malfunction on a hunt and upon return I reached out to vortex. They basically told me if you have our product your covered. Ended up corresponding a bit and they sent me a shipping label and a few weeks later I got an email saying my scope was unrepairable but a new one was in the mail. Pretty standup stuff... I didn't have the original box or it registered or anything. Not saying leupold wouldn't do the same.. just thought it was really great!

The warranty on Vortex optics is great. I've used it a few times with the PST line of scopes.

Haven't had to use it on my Razor. A couple of my buddies run the Razor LH and it's another pretty great optic.

The big attraction to Leupolds is the weight. Most of the Vortex stuff outside of the Light Hunter scopes are pretty chunky. I do think that once you get to about the VX3 level, Leupold glass typically is nicer than the Vortex stuff at comparable price points.

The Vortex has a lot of great reticles and features at the lower pricepoints but I feel like they often sacrificing glass quality to keep the prices low.

My go to hunting optic now is the Zeiss V4. Great glass, good reticles and fairly affordable. My first one has taken a few good falls and is still going strong.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.