Leupold vs. Nightforce scope

JBT

Which scope do you think is better for longrange hunting. the 8-25x50 leupold or the 5.5-22x56 nightforce.

I am partial to the NF with the R2 reticle with its range finding and hold point capabilities. My wife will probably get the Leopold though; I would like to have one of each anyway. Money is an issue this time as well, I do know what I am giving up though. If I had the cash, I would get another NF and after that, I would try the Lupy.

It is a decision you have to make based on the features and which one your eye sees as being clearer. My 5.5-22 is clearer than my 3.5-10 Lupy is, but the Lupy does not look like it, as Ian put it lately regarding the Simmons, has Vaseline smeared on the lens. It's a nice clear scope.

I am using a Nightforce 8x32x56 on my 338 Yogi and love it. I had the Nightforce on my 6.5/284 on a prairie dog hunt last summer and the scope worked excellent out to 1200 meters very clear optics. I would like to get a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 for the extra elevation adjustment. I think you would be happy with either scope. What range would you be hunting to?
Crow Mag

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm hoping to shoot out to about 2000 yds. If anyone has more info or thought please reply. Thank you.

If your going to shoot out to 2000 yards, get a scope that don't have a bunch of junk (as we call it) such as ladders, circles, lines, numbers and such,in the view.

I have both scopes and prefer the Leupold LR with the side wheel focus in the 8 1/2X to 25X and the Target Dot reticule.

The cost of the Leupold is half of the NXS and will do the job every bit as well as far as optics are concerned. Both have plenty of elevation clicks in them to reach out to where you want to go.

Both scopes are excellent quality and you really can't go wrong with either one.
I would look at the Target Dot in the Leupold or the CH-2 in the Nightforce which is also a Dot.

Later and good luck in your decision.

Mark,

When you talk about the eye relief on the 8.5-25x50mm LR, did you ever have problems w/ the changing eye relief w/ changing magnification? I had one and maybe it was just the gun it was on not fitting me physically either, but it really seemed like I was having to crawl the stock at 25x, and hold the gun off my shoulder a bit at 8.5x. I sold that scope and another last year, planning to apply the funds to a NF NXS scope, but home ownership being what it is, it didn't happpen
wink.gif
Now Leupold is coming out w/ the 8.5-25x M1, and its looking like it might be still be a good bit less at street price than the NightForce w/ their price-fixing b.s., so I'm wavering in my resolve. Everything else about that scope I liked a lot; just supposed constant eye-relief on the NXS looked very nice.

Monte

Ihave been using a leupold 8.5 x 25 for a couple of years on a .308 for long range varminting and tactical matches and the amount of elevation adjustment, clear optics and long eye relief help when shooting gophers at 700 yards. The NF scopes are great but you need to ask "why am I buying this scope?" and choose accordingly.

I just bought my second NXS with NP-R2. I am so impressed with the simplicity and utility of the reticle I just can't buy another scope. The Burris with the Ballistic Mil-Dot or Ballistic Plex approximates its usefulness for up to 700 yards, but not beyond.

If you're not interested in the graduated R2 reticle for its inherent advantages, though, I'd suggest going with a cheaper scope. I wouldn't spend the $$$ for a Nightforce without the R2...

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.