Leupold Varmint Reticle

Walker1

Can you help me understand the Varmint Reticle a little better. I understand most of it, but was wondering if the reticle works like a standard duplex if aiming with first crosshair after it is sighted in?

the varmint reticle is very versatile. i use it on several different rifles/cals. for pdogs/coyotes/as well as deer/elk. after you establish your zero point, the hash marks are used to help with hold over. I've use a lupy 4.5x14 with this reticle to "engae" coyotes to 830 yards with .300 RUM. like the scope !

the varmint reticle is very versatile. i use it on several different rifles/cals. for pdogs/coyotes/as well as deer/elk. after you establish your zero point, the hash marks are used to help with hold over. I've use a lupy 4.5x14 with this reticle to "engae" coyotes to 830 yards with .300 RUM. like the scope !
Does it work like a standard duplex once sighted in and can I use it like that if I want to and just hold over?

Walker,

Yes, the Varmint Reticle (I'm assuming it's the Varmint Hunter's reticle) works like a regular Duplex with it's main cross hairs beingused for the main point of target aquisition.

However, the system was designed to be used on a certain magnification, used in conjunction with a certain cartridge/velocity combination and a specific zero. For example, using a .22-250 shooting a 55g Bullet at a velocity of 3650fps (35-45in drop at 500yds) with the rifle zeroed at 200yds. The Scope then needs to be set where the Large triangle is on the power ring. Then (theroretically) you can use the next lines down as the 300, 400, & 500yd hold points. You still need to shoot at these distances to check and see if this really works for your rifle/ cartridge combo.

I have a Leupold VX-III 6-24x50mm with the Varmint hunter's reticle on my 7mm Rem Mag Sendero, but I'm having problems with obtaining enough velocity with this rifle to take advantage of this reticle. I have another rifle I'm moving it to that it will work with.

What cartridge are you using this on???

I hope this helps
Dan

Walker,

Yes, the Varmint Reticle (I'm assuming it's the Varmint Hunter's reticle) works like a regular Duplex with it's main cross hairs beingused for the main point of target aquisition.

However, the system was designed to be used on a certain magnification, used in conjunction with a certain cartridge/velocity combination and a specific zero. For example, using a .22-250 shooting a 55g Bullet at a velocity of 3650fps (35-45in drop at 500yds) with the rifle zeroed at 200yds. The Scope then needs to be set where the Large triangle is on the power ring. Then (theroretically) you can use the next lines down as the 300, 400, & 500yd hold points. You still need to shoot at these distances to check and see if this really works for your rifle/ cartridge combo.

I have a Leupold VX-III 6-24x50mm with the Varmint hunter's reticle on my 7mm Rem Mag Sendero, but I'm having problems with obtaining enough velocity with this rifle to take advantage of this reticle. I have another rifle I'm moving it to that it will work with.

What cartridge are you using this on???

I hope this helps
Dan

Thank you for the detailed answer to my question. That was the answer I was looking for. I am going to put this on a Ruger Predator in 22-250. I want to get he VX3 in 4.5-14x50LR w/30mm tube. I plan on sticking with factory Hornaday 50gr V-Max. Later I will probably reload with 50gr Barnes VG. I am not sure what the velocity is so I hope it will work for me. It is either the Varmint Hunters Recticle or standard Duplex that I am going to get.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.