Leupold Varmint Reticle for Big Game?

bookworm

I'm wondering if anyone has use Leupold's varmint reticle on big game cartridges. I like the finer lines than the boone & crocket.

Does anyone know the hash spacing (vert and horiz) on the varmint reticle?

Reason's I shouldn't consider the varmint reticle for a 300 win mag?

I put one on my 7mm rem mag for big game hunting . I can't see why it won't work . trying to keep even 100 yard increments the varmint ret is a better match for this cartridge than a B&C ret . I tried to copy the instructions for you . hope it's clear enough to read . Jim

BCret.jpg

varmitret.jpg

This is one of the scopes I am considering:
Leupold VX-III Riflescopes - Leupold 6.5-20x50 Varmint Hunters Reticle - VX-III Riflescope - 63500

Then send it to Leupold's Custom shop to change the reticule to their TMR (reticule) and maybe change the turrets to their M1 turrets or order it direct from the Custom shop = $ 1139.96 total from the Custom shop. Might be cheeper if you buy it and then send it back to Leupold to have the "stuff" changed.
https://customshop.leupold.com/custom_shop.php

This scope has 94 moa, but I do not know if that will change with the M1 turrets installed??? The Leupold - 6.5-20x50 LR/T M1 Long Range Tactical Mark 4 Riflescope has 70 moa of adjustment:
Leupold Mark 4 Riflescopes - Leupold 6.5-20x50 LR/T M1 Long Range Tactical Mark 4 Riflescope

joseph

PS: These are the other scopes that I am seriously considering:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/wonders-falcon-47090/

I had to leave this morning . I can't read the scans so I'll type them out .

with the scope set on high power , mine is 14 max .
bullet drop
B&C ------------------------- varmint
200 yards........ 0 -----------------------------------0
300 yards ........ 6.88 inch -----------------------------5.69 inch
400 yards .........20.11 inch ----------------------------17.3 inch
500 yards ........40.95 inch---------------------------36.8 inch

wind drift
B&C -----------------------------varmint

200 yards XXXX-----------------------------10 mph 3.71 , 20 mph 7.41 inch
300 yards 10 mph 6.79 inch ---------------10 mph 8.98 , 20 mph 17.97 inch
400 yards 10mph 12.69 inch ----------------10 mph 17.13 , 20 mph 34.22 inch
500 yards XXXX----------------------------------10 mph 25.87 , 20 mph 51.79 inch

Jim - thanks for all the efforts in scanning and typing.

If I'm reading correctly, the varmint shows a bit less drop per mark and a bit more wind drift per mark. Seems like they are in the ballpark to be used with big game cartridges as well as varmint.

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.