Leupold Vari-X III or Vortex Viper PST???

Dust270WSM

I am buying a new scope and wondering which y'all would get. Looking at the Vari-X III 6.5X20X50 with side focus and raised turrets. Prob with the duplex or varmint crosshairs. Bout $970.00 bouts

VERSUS...

The Vortexs PST 6X24X50. Haven't decided of I should get front focal or second yet. and this one runs $685 for second and $899 for front.

Going on my 7mm mag for deer at long ranges and steel.

I would go with the PST for many many reasons. It has amazing eye relief, illuminated reticle, exposed turrets, tracks like a dream, and the glass is just as good as VX-3 Glass.

Just to throw it out, I have an ffp 4-16 PST I am looking to sell for like $750, very VERY faint front ring mark. I am going to go to an sfp 6-24 on my 308. The reticle on the sfp is slightly finer, which is an advantage to shooting targets, but doesn't make a difference on game.

If you get it from me or elsewhere, go with the PST.

No Contest.

Get a PST. I used to be a leupold lifetime fan but from now on the only scope on my rifles is a Vortex!

Awesome scopes and Fantastic/Incredible customer service

go with the vxIII lr send it in to the custom shop and put the mark IV turrets on it wont cost you over $900.00 great glass great repeatability,better eye relief if you ever have a problem you will have it back in no more than 2 weeks, MADE IN AMERICA best choice for what you want to spend,and yes I have tried the pst IMO not the scope the leupold is good luck

go with the vxIII lr send it in to the custom shop and put the mark IV turrets on it wont cost you over $900.00 great glass great repeatability,better eye relief if you ever have a problem you will have it back in no more than 2 weeks, MADE IN AMERICA best choice for what you want to spend,and yes I have tried the pst IMO not the scope the leupold is good luck

Unless I read the specs wrong the turret clicks don't match the reticles.

joseph

Unless I read the specs wrong the turret clicks don't match the reticles.

joseph

I have four 6.5X20X40 they all have mark 4 turretts all you have to check when you get them back from the custom shop is if they are in inches or moa, and then print your chart accordingly, I know it works I shot a mule deer last week at 1150 yrds hit him wright where I was aiming, but I also am just using a fine duplex reticle and dial all my yardage

No Contest.

Get a PST. I used to be a leupold lifetime fan but from now on the only scope on my rifles is a Vortex!

Awesome scopes and Fantastic/Incredible customer service

Me too!!! Huge fan of vortex. Amazing scopes. I won't buy Leupold no more.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.