Leupold Vari-X III or Vortex Viper PST???

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Dust270WSM, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Dust270WSM

Dust270WSM Well-Known Member

I am buying a new scope and wondering which y'all would get. Looking at the Vari-X III 6.5X20X50 with side focus and raised turrets. Prob with the duplex or varmint crosshairs. Bout $970.00 bouts

VERSUS...

The Vortexs PST 6X24X50. Haven't decided of I should get front focal or second yet. and this one runs $685 for second and $899 for front.

Going on my 7mm mag for deer at long ranges and steel.

2. Jeremybj

Jeremybj Well-Known Member

I would go with the PST for many many reasons. It has amazing eye relief, illuminated reticle, exposed turrets, tracks like a dream, and the glass is just as good as VX-3 Glass.

Just to throw it out, I have an ffp 4-16 PST I am looking to sell for like $750, very VERY faint front ring mark. I am going to go to an sfp 6-24 on my 308. The reticle on the sfp is slightly finer, which is an advantage to shooting targets, but doesn't make a difference on game.

If you get it from me or elsewhere, go with the PST.

3. Dalebow

Dalebow Well-Known Member

PST:)

4. rinodods

rinodods Well-Known Member

PST. You won't be sorry.

5. timmyatnop

timmyatnop Well-Known Member

PST for sure!!!!

6. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  7. gamehawker

gamehawker Well-Known Member

No Contest.

Get a PST. I used to be a leupold lifetime fan but from now on the only scope on my rifles is a Vortex!

Awesome scopes and Fantastic/Incredible customer service

8. 270winshort

270winshort Well-Known Member

go with the vxIII lr send it in to the custom shop and put the mark IV turrets on it wont cost you over $900.00 great glass great repeatability,better eye relief if you ever have a problem you will have it back in no more than 2 weeks, MADE IN AMERICA best choice for what you want to spend,and yes I have tried the pst IMO not the scope the leupold is good luck

9. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

Unless I read the specs wrong the turret clicks don't match the reticles.

joseph

10. 270winshort

270winshort Well-Known Member

I have four 6.5X20X40 they all have mark 4 turretts all you have to check when you get them back from the custom shop is if they are in inches or moa, and then print your chart accordingly, I know it works I shot a mule deer last week at 1150 yrds hit him wright where I was aiming, but I also am just using a fine duplex reticle and dial all my yardage

11. timmyatnop

timmyatnop Well-Known Member

PST without a doubt. Mil tourets. And mil reticle. Illuminatied..better glass. And parts not made in china unlike the Leupold.

12. Prieto9000

Prieto9000 Well-Known Member

Me too!!! Huge fan of vortex. Amazing scopes. I won't buy Leupold no more.