Leupold V5HD 3-15x44 enough MOA

So a 20 Moa rail doesn't automatically net me 20 MOA. Why not? Not being a Smart— I am trying to wrap my grape around this.
It cant net you anything
Unless- for some reason the mounts you used you were zeroed with less than 38 moa of elevation left
Then the canted base would get you back to 38. The scope is incapable of dialing greater than 38 moa correction with the dial Installed
Underneath the dial is merely a post and would not make for a good correction

So what is the purpose of a 20 MOA rail verses a regular base?
The Leupold ZL2 turret (Zero Lock, 2 Turn) limits you to 2 rotations. 20 MOA on the first rotation and 18 MOA on the second rotation. It won't necessarily matter if you add a 20 MOA base WITH THIS SCOPE because you will still be limited to the 2 turns and 38 MOA of elevation. Regardless of where you zero, you won't get more elevation than that. There are scopes that do not limit you to 2 turns on their elevation turret thus adding a canted base will give you additional MOA on your dial. Take the VX-5 with 75 MOA of total elevation. If you sight in in the exact middle of adjustment you would have 37.5 MOA up and 37.5 MOA down. If you add a 20 MOA base you'd then have 57.5 MOA up and 17.5 MOA down HOWEVER the ZL2 turret still limits you to a max of 2 turns and 38 MOA of elevation so you only gained half an MOA with that base. With that 20 MOA base and turrets that don't stop you at 2 turns you would have that full 57.5 MOA of elevation. Hope that makes sense.

The Leupold ZL2 turret (Zero Lock, 2 Turn) limits you to 2 rotations. 20 MOA on the first rotation and 18 MOA on the second rotation. It won't necessarily matter if you add a 20 MOA base WITH THIS SCOPE because you will still be limited to the 2 turns and 38 MOA of elevation. Regardless of where you zero, you won't get more elevation than that. There are scopes that do not limit you to 2 turns on their elevation turret thus adding a canted base will give you additional MOA on your dial. Take the VX-5 with 75 MOA of total elevation. If you sight in in the exact middle of adjustment you would have 37.5 MOA up and 37.5 MOA down. If you add a 20 MOA base you'd then have 57.5 MOA up and 17.5 MOA down HOWEVER the ZL2 turret still limits you to a max of 2 turns and 38 MOA of elevation so you only gained half an MOA with that base. With that 20 MOA base and turrets that don't stop you at 2 turns you would have that full 57.5 MOA of elevation. Hope that makes sense.
Oh I see. Your knowledge and help I greatly appreciate.

So a 20 Moa rail doesn't automatically net me 20 MOA. Why not? Not being a Smart— I am trying to wrap my grape around this.
It is because of the elevation cap construction. It will only turn 2 revolutions no matter whether it is mounted on a standard base or a 20 moa base.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.