Leupold V5HD 3-15x44 enough MOA

Rocket86

THANK YOU ALL for your advice. I have a 7mm Rem Mag 24 in barrel 7 mm Rem Mag average 3 shot groups .7 with Fed prem 160 Nosler par. What is max yds I could dial with V5HD 3-15x44? I believe I know, Confirmation?

Well first off you are going to have to count up from your zero to when your turret maxes out in elevation. It's impossible to know where you are in adjustment if you don't keep track of where you are. This is just an example, but let's say the scope has 80 MOA of elevation. That's from all the way bottomed out to maxed out at the top. If you don't have a base with MOA built in, let's say you end up around 40 MOA up from the bottom. So you have 40 MOA of travel left in your scope before you run out of elevation. If you have a 20 MOA base than you might be zeroed 20 MOA up from the bottom so you would have 60 MOA of adjustment left. So if you have 60 MOA of adjustment, go into a ballistics calculator and input all of your data and it will give you a drop chart out to say 2000 yards. Follow the chart until you see where it gets to be 60 MOA of drop then you'll know that's your max range with that rifle and load at those conditions.

Well first off you are going to have to count up from your zero to when your turret maxes out in elevation. It's impossible to know where you are in adjustment if you don't keep track of where you are. This is just an example, but let's say the scope has 80 MOA of elevation. That's from all the way bottomed out to maxed out at the top. If you don't have a base with MOA built in, let's say you end up around 40 MOA up from the bottom. So you have 40 MOA of travel left in your scope before you run out of elevation. If you have a 20 MOA base than you might be zeroed 20 MOA up from the bottom so you would have 60 MOA of adjustment left. So if you have 60 MOA of adjustment, go into a ballistics calculator and input all of your data and it will give you a drop chart out to say 2000 yards. Follow the chart until you see where it gets to be 60 MOA of drop then you'll know that's your max range with that rifle and load at those conditions.
Thank you, great explanation.

But note what Jud 96 said: you will need a Picatinny rail scope mount, with 20 MOA built into the rear, in order to take maximum advantage of that internal adjustment.

Maybe. Maybe not. That scope has 75 MOA of total elevation so if he's sighted in at the center of adjustment he'd have 37.5 MOA. The ZL2 turret will limit him to a maximum of 38 MOA. A 20 MOA rail may net him nothing at all.

I see what you are saying. Can a different turret be installed?
I'm not sure on the VX Line if there is any way to defeat the 2 turn turret. The reality is with most modern cartridges 38 MOA gets you way out there. I'm sure I'll get beat up for this but If I was regularly dialing to 30 MOA plus or if I was wanting to go farther than 38 MOA then I would most definitely be looking at a different scope. Just my opinion.

I'm not sure on the VX Line if there is any way to defeat the 2 turn turret. The reality is with most modern cartridges 38 MOA gets you way out there. I'm sure I'll get beat up for this but If I was regularly dialing to 30 MOA plus or if I was wanting to go farther than 38 MOA then I would most definitely be looking at a different scope. Just my opinion.
So, fellow hunters your replies are sincerely appreciated. Please explain how approx 37.5 + 20 additional MOA(Rail) doesn't "necessarily" equal 57.5. Humbly learning.

So, fellow hunters your replies are sincerely appreciated. Please explain how approx 37.5 + 20 additional MOA(Rail) doesn't "necessarily" equal 57.5. Humbly learning.
It will only dial 38 moa. Any extra is irrelevant since it's basically useless locked away under the zl2 cap.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.