Leupold turrets

jmason

I have a leupold VX-II 6-18 AO Target. My question is does leupold have a different turret set up than this one? It's the type with the 3 set scews that go through the cap and engage the turret. Mine slips, and I have retighened to the point I think the set screws are stripping. DO they have a set up with splines like Nikon or others that I can have it changed to? Does anyone else have issues with a luepold with this set up?

Please don't respond with "you get what you pay for", I spent as much as I can afford at this stage in my life. I have 2 other reponsibilities (kids) that take presidence over my hobbies, and cannot justify spending more (on myself ) than I have on this scope. I will say I expected a better set up from leupold (whom I revered highly to this point).

I'd appreciate hearing others solutions to this issue as I can't possibly be the only one. Maybe the mark 2 , or Mark 4s have a better sytem I can have the scope upgraded to?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Thanks J E.

It shows M1 type for just about all their scopes as being the other option. Does anyone knoe if they are also the type with set screws though the side of the cap?

Leupold

Yes the M1 have the set screws. If you having a problem call teh customer service line and they will probably tell you to send it back and they will repalce them if they are broke.

Willys

willys46- do you(or anyone else) have issues with these? I'm shhoting more than one load and at different times I'll need to re-zero and I'm worried I'll keep having them slip on me. I guess if law enforcment and miliary don't have probles I shouldn't either? Or maybe theirs aren't set screws.

I was told that they could not put M1 turrets on my VX-L because it is a 1" tube. You might want to call them.

I did call them. They said people normally have the problem I have due to over tightening and flexing the cap. They are sending me some new set screws as well. I'm going to give it another go. If not, knowing the turn around is that fast is great!! J_mcdade thanks for your input. I can pay another $119 to have them changed to ones that have larger set screw (mark 2 type. That option doesn't really interest me. When I nade the purchase I chose this over the Mark 2 because at the time I didn't want the turrets exposed. Hind site again has proved to be 20/20......

The good news is there aren't scores of people sharing my issue which means it's most likly me that is the issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.