Leupold Tracking Question

Have you PERSONALLY had a Leupold fail to track

• Total voters

Andrew Massi

I've been reading a lot about Leupold not reliably tracking. Many forums, as soon as someone dare mention leupold all the usual customers pop up and start in.

This could be problematic since most of the rifles I Hunt with are topped with Leupold's (VX6, VX5HD, VX6HD, LRP) I like the weight, locking turrets, made in Oregon and glass quality
I also own, shoot and have experience with nightforce, Zeiss, Swarovski, USO and a couple vortex: PST gen 1, hst, hslr(relegated to varmint duty ironically for tracking issues)
I guess the issue is, SO FAR, I've never had an issue with any of these scopes. I dial em up, shoot em then at the end of the day I return to zero and pop a rock or gong at 300( 300 yard zeroes) and call it good. After reading about all these failures I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I rarely shoot at a rifle range, and much prefer going to the mountains and shooting steel/ rocks.
My first gen vx6 3-18x44 has over 1200 rounds of 30-378 and 320 rounds of 28 nosler(many un-braked rounds) through it and it hasn't hiccuped yet (knock on preverbial wood) I would imagine if something was going to break, it would have by now? Am I just lucky? Is my safe stuffed with ticking timebombs that are going to fail on their next excursion?

My question for the crowd that has had tracking reliability/ rezero issue, were these results from a box test? 1st gen vx6 or the 2ng gen vx6hd? Or, tragically did you dial up on a critter and miss?
I posted a poll, but I'm not interested in 5th hand knowledge of some guy at your local range who knows someone

I love my Vx5hd, but, I probably only have 50 rounds thru it and have only shot dialing distance with it a handful of times. I did a lot of research before I bought it and was wary of the tracking issue. Most of what I saw was the original CDS had problems. And it seems that most people like the new CDS-ZL2. Like I said, I don't have many rounds with my Vx5hd, but my next couple scopes will be that same 3-15 vx5's.

I've seen much less of the blanket statement type of "Leupold's never track correctly, and Nightforce always tracks 100%" type of bs on this forum, than the other forums. Like you said, tons and tons of subjective opinions and hyperbole about Leupolds, but very little, if any, actual hard data. This is the best actual data driven test that I've personally seen.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/08/13/tactical-scopes-mechanical-performance-part-1/

It's about 4 years old, but in this test both Leupolds outperform both of the Nightforce scopes in tracking accuracy. Only the Hensoldt, Valdada, USO, and Kahles scored 100% on tracking accuracy.

Very interesting article, lots of good data and insight in it.

Attachments

• tactical-scopes-reviews1.png
    tactical-scopes-reviews1.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 695
I have seen a lot of VX-2 and 3's fail to track or RTZ. That being said I owned a VX6 and it tracked fine I just didn't care for the reticle. I keep considering a vx5 for a lightweight rifle I have. It's hard to beat the size and weight of that scope. I didn't post in the poll because I wasn't sure if you wanted feedback on all leupolds or just the Vx5 and 6.

My mark 4 scopes seem to track just fine and hold zero however I still run nightforce on my competition rifles

I have seen a lot of VX-2 and 3's fail to track or RTZ. That being said I owned a VX6 and it tracked fine I just didn't care for the reticle. I keep considering a vx5 for a lightweight rifle I have. It's hard to beat the size and weight of that scope. I didn't post in the poll because I wasn't sure if you wanted feedback on all leupolds or just the Vx5 and 6.
Mostly looking for feedback on say the lrp line and up

I've never had any tracking issues with my Leupolds. I'm only set up to shoot to 550 yards but I go from 550 to 100 pretty regular each time I shoot. I have a VX5HD, VX6 and a VX6HD

I will admit that I am one that has been prone to say I do not trust them. My career path in the military has led me to have used dozens of Leupolds and I have personally had several as I like to use what is issued to me so as it is consistent (if I can afford such trinkets). I have had waaaayyyy too many issues on both sides of it and swore off them. However, over the past few years they have pulled their heads out of their buts and now try to compete in today's market and not just rely on their name. I really want to get my hands on a VX-5HD, I like the specs and what I'm reading about it. Im not gonna sell my Nightforce for one, that's for sure.
I also just bought a couple VX-2's with CDS, they will go on my muzzleloader and daughter's .243 if they check out. I do not plan on anything extreme with them.

Just ordered a vx5hd 3-15x44, windplex, to go on top of a 7mm-08 hunting set up for my son. I have a vxii 3-9x50 that is almost 25 years old and no telling how many rock bangs and drops it has had, glass and housing still solid. It will not box test. Called leupold up they said send it in. Think I am going to get the Tri-moa reticle added when I send it in and put it on a 22, good holdover practice for me and the kids. Been running the 3-9 on the 7-08 for load development and it holds zero, just have to play with the adjustments, if any. If either of my NF's or this new leupy need a screw replaced in 25 years I am good. Added a pic of my 3-9x50, piled up a lot of deer, hogs, coyote and elk behind that thing. Also a group for the load selected during work up for the 7mm using the old 3-9. Maybe missed the point on tracking for dial shooting but will be testing out the new 3-15 soon. That is the extent of my firsthand leupold knowledge and I just bought a new one.
9FC6A9B6-E83D-4AF2-ACB1-F6EAEF7DFAC2.jpeg 7930B9F8-4A02-4076-AA90-9F5B77D86056.jpeg

Yes i have. Vx6 3-18x44 was the most recent. Ill never buy one again and i live 10 minutes from their HQ.

My rifle went from shooting great to crap. so the first thing i did was put a scope on that i knew was good and my groups went back down to normal. So i sent it in and told them that I've confirmed something is wrong with the scope. This was right before deer season too which ****ed me off and this was a new scope i had purchase earlier in the year. They told me they replaced 2/3 of the scope but wouldn't get into specifics. I got it back sold it. Best warranty you'll never need my ***. The scope before that i sent in more times than i want to admit. I'm not the only one that's had problems. My family had ran nothing but Leupolds most of our lives. Hope this helps and sorry if people don't like it but its the truth.