Leupold Side focus vs A/O

TMR

Official LRH Sponsor
Is it worth the extra couple hundred dollars to go with the SF versions of the VXIII 6.5-20's over the Adjustable objective versions? I have heard mix feelings and some problems with the side focus style. Anyone have any experiences either way?

I have both and you get to used to either one, but with that said I sure like the side focus when you are in the prone position, or shooting off a bench. I guess I would say that I prefer the side focus over the AO, and yes, I would pay the extra$$.

Thanks lovdasnow,
I have the sf on my Nightforce that is going on my 7mmAM, but I need something for this 243 Ackley. I might end up going with the SF version also. I now wish I could find a 6.5-20 with the TMR reticle for a reasonable price.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it worth the extra couple hundred dollars to go with the SF versions of the VXIII 6.5-20's over the Adjustable objective versions? I have heard mix feelings and some problems with the side focus style. Anyone have any experiences either way?

[/ QUOTE ]
The reason the side focus is a couple hundred more than an A/O is because they only come on 30mm tubes , that is probably what you would like best on a long range 243AI. if you have any problem with the side focus (you wont)just send it back to Leupold and they will have it fixed and back to you in less than 2 weeks. You might also consider the 8.5x25 very sweet scope.
UB

UncleB,

I did consider the 8.5-25, but I like to have a little more low end for hunting coyotes. Sometimes they come in a little close and are there before we know it. If I was just hunting chucks and pd's, then that would definitely be the scope.

i have the sf on my NF NXS, love it!!, and I have it on a mk4 4.5-14 that I really like for coyotes. I think NF scopes are awesome, but if you don't want to spend that much check out the mk4's.
I sometimes wish that I had lower than 4.5 when we are calling dogs. but thats up to you.
good luck...

[ QUOTE ]
UncleB,

I did consider the 8.5-25, but I like to have a little more low end for hunting coyotes. Sometimes they come in a little close and are there before we know it. If I was just hunting chucks and pd's, then that would definitely be the scope.

[/ QUOTE ]
TMR,
You have built an IDEAL chuck and PD rifle, but it could not be set up worse for a coyote rifle, you want a 8# rifle not a #8 rifle barrel for coyotes. a 6.5x20 works good for chuck's and PD's but is still too much for coyote calling.
build a much lighter rifle with a 3.5x10 for coyotes and use your new 243AI for chucks and PD's with a 8.5x25.
UB

Well.....I did have a 9lb coyote rifle with a #5 barrel in 22-250AI .....then my girlfriend shot it, and now I believe that she thinks it is hers now. Oh well, the family that plays together, stays together. I ordered a 6.5-20x50 LRT from BJ this morning to put on the rifle. I will give it a try and see what happens. Maybe I will have to build another one in a lightweight version. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts