Leupold Sequoia Vs Vortex Nomad

Prieto9000

Which one of these 2 Scopes you think would be better for long range spotting?? I'm on a limited budget for this right now. If you have a better suggestion that won't break me I'll gladly accept it.
I want to buy a decent spotter to start and replace it with a high class spotter maybe for christmas 2013

I've used both Sequoia models. They are typical of scopes in that price range, except for the eye relief, which is generously long. Simple achromat objective lens, polycarbonate housing, made in China. The rubber skin is very durable. I like the bigger one because of the eye relief is more forgiving.

I've used both Sequoia models. They are typical of scopes in that price range, except for the eye relief, which is generously long. Simple achromat objective lens, polycarbonate housing, made in China. The rubber skin is very durable.

Compared to a Nikon Prostaff how would the sequoia stand??

I compared the two 80/82 mm models side-by-side at the range and liked the Sequoia better. A bit higher resolution and contrast. I was looking up at low contrast bullet holes in metal pipe at 800 yds on a hillside. Turbulence was not bad.

I compared the two 80/82 mm models side-by-side at the range and liked the Sequoia better. A bit higher resolution and contrast. I was looking up at low contrast bullet holes in metal pipe at 800 yds on a hillside. Turbulence was not bad.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll get the sequoia and see how it goes. I just hope I don't regret it.

I was surprised to see the Sequoia beat the Prostaff in optical performance. I haven't seen better optics than the Sequoia at that price. I think you will have to move up to HD or ED glass to get better optics.

CORRECTION. I evaluated the SX-1 Ventana, not the Sequoia which is discontinued. All my comments are for the SX-1 Ventana line of scopes.

I've never compared the two side by side, but I own the Ventana and I absolutely love that thing, especially since it was given to me for "free 99". I also own the vortex viper pst rifle scope and will say that vortex has awesome glass. I don't think you will be disappointed in getting the Ventana (instead of the Sequoia) at all. Someone may yell at me for saying this, but I have compared the Kenai and Ventana side by side, and I liked the Ventana a lot better. IMHO it struck me as having more clarity and allowing me light in.

I've never compared the two side by side, but I own the Ventana and I absolutely love that thing, especially since it was given to me for "free 99". I also own the vortex viper pst rifle scope and will say that vortex has awesome glass. I don't think you will be disappointed in getting the Ventana (instead of the Sequoia) at all. Someone may yell at me for saying this, but I have compared the Kenai and Ventana side by side, and I liked the Ventana a lot better. IMHO it struck me as having more clarity and allowing me light in.

Thanks. I should keep the ventana in mind.

FYI. I also compared the 80 mm SX-1 Ventana against the 12-40x60 Gold Ring HD. The Gold Ring at 40X had slightly better contrast and resolution than the SX-1 Ventana at 60X. That's the difference HD glass can make.

I'm a bit surprised the Kenai with HD glass did not outperform the SX-1. At Leupold HD means "uses a calcium fluoride lens", aka "ED". That should have made a big difference in favor of the Kenai.

I know this is a little old, but this thread is where I'm at. I am hoping to get a "packable" spotting scope for $400 max, closer to $300 would be better (yes, clearly, I'm on a tighter budget than some; 5 kids at home still, etc). I've had the Nomad, the Ventana, and the Prostaff (65mm) on my list. IMO, most 80 plus mm scopes are going to be too heavy to pack around for miles on foot every day. I like the comfort of a good warranty too!

Any input on these or other good options would be appreciated. I'd like to be able to be able to see mulies enought to see the rack at 1600yrds. Thanks for any additional input.

I was talking to someone that hunts mulies a lot and he said a real good pair of binoculars would be a better investment for starts. I do have some Nikon travelites III 8x23 that were given to me and they actually do pretty good for what they are. I have looked through better binos and know there are better out there.

He's got me thinking...any of you have an opinion?

Vortex is way overpriced. Their Nomad is the same as Leupold Redfield spotter, but at least 50% more expensive. I would get Leupold hands down

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.