Leupold Scopesmith Magnetic Scopesighter

Ian M

Got of these little devises recently and will accumulate some test info. It is very small and very simple to use, just let it stick on the muzzle of your rifle, line it up vertically and look through the scope. No batteries, no bore guides or spuds, very quick and easy to use, magnets really grap the end of the barrel but won't hurt it.

So far the first newly-mounted scope/rifle combination adjusted with the device resulted in the initial three shots hitting two inches low and three inches left of the aiming point - got me on paper at 100 yards and that is one primary objective.

Will check some previously sighted in LR rifle/scope rigs to see if the little gadget will identify serious changes from zero - hope it will be a useful addition to my long range kit.

Anybody else using one of these little scopesighters?
ian

Mine works just fine and I would consider it to be slightly better than peering down the back of the bore with the eye.

I'll make a point of trying it today again.

I have sighted in three or four of my own rifles with one of these units and have found it to be quite acceptable, I still prefer to boredight the old fashioned way though.

I have also sighted in about fifty other rifles of all typed for people and they work very well, especially if you are working on something weird such as a shot gun with scope of boss/brake equipped gun. I don;t know how often some of you need to boresight a scope equipped shotgun, but this unti seems to be the best for this application.

I did manage to break a unit when I dropped it, the little curved piece of glass popped out and ruined it. It did not look right when I out it back, sent it back to leupold and no word yet.

Have sighted-in three rifles now, all of them resulted in first shots hitting within three inches of the point of aim. Am comparing it with a couple of other spud-type units, so far the Sweeney is proving to be closest. There is never any uniformity in readings between any of the bore-sighters I am using, but the results are bullets on paper.
Leupold sure could have made their unit better with a grid or some kind of index marks on the magnets so you can put it back to definite locations.

My latest use of it last weekend wasn't the greatest either. I did better sightng through the rear of the barrel.

I am a bit uneasy about putting anything in the muzzle of a match grade barrel! Maybe I'm just getting old..

Wait a minute. It appears with the device under discussion, you don't place a spud in the barrel? That is a good idea! Like I said about getting old..

I have the leo boresighter and am not impressed by it. Hasn't always got me on paper. I am just beginning to "chart" all my guns in a notebook as to where the leo "thinks" the crosshairs are.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts