Leupold Scopes...Do you trust them today?

Tumbleweed has luck with Leupold like I did with Burris. Fogging, rotating reticle, lose of accuracy, out of focus so I just don't buy them anymore.
I think my reticle is rotated in my Burris rt6. I got to get a plumb bob set up to confirm.

80%!! You must be the most unlucky person on the face of the planet. I grew up with Tasco and Simmons scopes and never had even 25% fail. I bet you never draw a deer tag either. Sorry for your luck in life. Sounds terrible.

Nah, I don't have bad luck in life. Just seems to be with Leupold. I have a local friend who has also done a lot of rifle set up and load development for people. His Leupold failure rate is very similar to mine.
Keep in mind, your average hunter may not see the problems and failures that we have. Guys who don't shoot long range, demand an accurate system or care about a zero that moves won't catch on to some of these issues. They are failures none the less.

I always liked Leupold for the longest time until I noticed they fell way behind the curve for what they offered for the $$$ in comparison to others. I can say this I have total faith in my NF. I dropped my 17lb rifle scope first, landing turret first from about 4ft where my sling came undone. The shift was a click up and left. I thought my zero wouls be completely gone!

Didn't know about tracking issues. Other companies were just more competitive with their products for me

I won an XTRII in a PRS match. I tried to run it for part of the year at comps. I hated it! It had the worst eye box I've ever tried. I was always fighting to get proper alignment from different positions. Even though I do a good job at setting up my scopes, I removed and remounted it twice to see if that would help. No luck. While it held zero and tracked well, I could never shoot great groups with it. Sounds strange I know. I sold it. Goes to show we each have our own likes and dislikes.

Bob

Ive had a 340 wby 36 years,always leo on it.My light 7-2oz,338NM,smith tested with a premier.Told him it was getting a mark4,said it get about 2 weeks out of it.Been on 338nm ten years.I could fill these pages of all game shot with leos on hard hitting 338's.But instead post pict of my kid,with part of his inheritance 340
IMG_1471.JPG

No, you misunderstood the video...They don't make every scope do the test, and the unconscious, detached retina was about a guy shooting an African big bore rifle and hurting himself-not the machine.

You did though achieve the highest level of supporter status for Leupold- Congrats!

But, go back and actually watch the and listen to the 50 minute video so you won't write wrong information.

Thanks!
Bud, I said they test them periodically throughout production. Every model they make has to pass that test before it goes into production and then thought production they test samples to verify they are maintaining quality control on their optics. Also, the gun was made to replicate the recoil the machine produces. So yes, the machine does generate that much recoil. I work in the industry and have to know about all optic companies products for my job. I am around these products every single day and know them as well as anyone. I own optics from many companies, not just Leupold. I've used optics from many companies at many price points out in the field hunting and shooting and I consistently find myself enjoying Leupold's optics over other companies when I consider price. If I had all the money in the world would I use Swarovski ELs out hunting and Swarovski spotting scopes? Probably. But if I'm considering what I'm getting in return for my investment I'm going to pick Leupold almost every time because Swarovski is overpriced honestly. Anyway, don't think that I don't know what I'm talking about when you don't know where I've gotten my information. I didn't get it from a video, I got it from Leupold and my own personal experience.

I think you're a fan of Leupold...Work in the industry - like selling scopes for a sporting goods store possibly?Because if you were actually "In the Industry" you'd be more knowledgeable about failure rates of not only Leupold but Swarovski scopes as well when looking at success and failures on their "dialing scope lines".

I actually know personally individuals who worked - retired from Leupold in the capacity of management as well as an optical engineer who designs equipment for companies such as Leupold who use his companies equipment... And of course, I'm fortunate to be buds with a couple former military SF rascals who still work in a government testing capacity for both firearms dev and optics proving grounds. Both these men have worked directly with Leupold engineers to figure out why their scopes have a high failure rate for both US Gov Contractors and our US Army afield...Especially when Leupold is compared to NightForce optics and Schmidt Bender on the same testing platforms.

I live in Oregon. I've owned a pile of Leupold's, still own a few. I also own a pile of Nightforce, Schmidt Bender, Leica, Zeiss V6 and V4's. Sig Tango6, Sig Whiskey5, Sightron Siii, and several others. So, comparing what I own, use, and know from either personal or professional experience through friends, coupled with the thousands of failure rates of Leupold as a dialing scope should tell anyone both "in the industry" and not, that Leupold doesn't make robust internals for their dialing scopes. It's just a fact.

But, the above doesn't mean a guy can't buy a Leupold with a cds, Mil/MOA turrets, or set/forget and not be successful killing furs...Of course someone can and do everyday somewhere...The success experienced again, doesn't change the facts of their failure rate.

Objective point of views are usually more accurate than a Subjective viewpoint based on a sampling of an individual's personal success or failure...There's a saying "Bring and hunt what you want" "Nobody cares but you, if it works or not".

Happy Hunting.....

For me it depends on what the application is. I have had several of the old set and forgets and still have a couple.

I have a vx5hd that tracks as it should to 600 and returns to zero, now it's on a hunting rifle and doesn't get twisted on like a target rifle might.

I also have a couple vxiii's with cds turrets installed on varmint guns (coyotes mainly) and they return to zero and track as they should.

Now for anything I'm going to be twisting on on a regular basis it's NF for me.

Nah, I don't have bad luck in life. Just seems to be with Leupold. I have a local friend who has also done a lot of rifle set up and load development for people. His Leupold failure rate is very similar to mine.
Keep in mind, your average hunter may not see the problems and failures that we have. Guys who don't shoot long range, demand an accurate system or care about a zero that moves won't catch on to some of these issues. They are failures none the less.

Funny the hubris in your statement - like anybody who uses Leupold don't shoot long range, demand and accurate system or care about zero...lol. You are a real piece of work!

For me it depends on what the application is. I have had several of the old set and forgets and still have a couple.

I have a vx5hd that tracks as it should to 600 and returns to zero, now it's on a hunting rifle and doesn't get twisted on like a target rifle might.

I also have a couple vxiii's with cds turrets installed on varmint guns (coyotes mainly) and they return to zero and track as they should.

Now for anything I'm going to be twisting on on a regular basis it's NF for me.
Exactly...You said it better then me. I run my guns with optics the same as you. 😎

I know you can buy a better scope than Leupold but I have used them since the 70 's for hunting purposes only and I'm not shooting 1000 yds at the range . But I have every scope that I ever purchased and never had a problem with any of Them .

Funny the hubris in your statement - like anybody who uses Leupold don't shoot long range, demand and accurate system or care about zero...lol. You are a real piece of work!

Fact...most don't. Did I hurt your wittle feewings there bud? You can keep buying that garbage if you want. I learned my lesson a long time ago. While you are ignorantly insulting people, why don't you read Beaver10's comment just above. Are you gonna call him a liar too?

Last edited:
What is it with you insulting people who have experiences that differ from your personal opinions??
Chill bud, you don't have to agree just move on with life..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.