Leupold Scopes...Do you trust them today?

Beaver10

I participate in a forum where Leupold scopes, especially turreted ones aren't well liked. I have noticed on the LRH forum a lot of guys are running dialing Leupold's like VX5 HD, VX6 HD, Mark 5's and a few Mark 6 scopes.

Makes me curious if it's a matter of the pond water being polluted by some, where another pond isn't polluted at all.

Personally, I once owned 10-12 Leupold's, mostly VX3 and VX6. Several were set/forget and many were cds dialers. I shot enough 200-600 rounds per year, per rifle, to know if I'm having rtz issues. I didn't.

The biggest issue I encountered on a regular basis was setting my initial site in zero for my set/forget scopes. Adjusting elevation or windage with no reticle movement. Then deploying the "Leupold Knock" on the top of the turret to see if that would help the erector move...Laughable, I know, but it's a common practice, that I've heard many people try. Once I would finally get my zero. The scope was good to go without further adjustments required.

After 25 years of being a Leupold slut, the last 3 years, as I've added new rifles, I moved away from Leupold for my rigs that are used for hunting fur that matters to me... NightForce, SWFA, Zeiss, are now resting on top.

My varmint rigs hold a mixed bag of everything from Leupold, Sightron, Sig Whiskey5, Leica, and Bushnell Elite 6500 optics.

Again, I guess, I'm just curious if the consensus on LRH is different for Leupold than other forums. A month ago I bought a new VX5 HD and just today I bought two never used VX3 4.5-14x50 Varmegeddon dialing scopes. Apparently, I still like Leupold's, or I'm just a sucker for a good price point.

Footnote: If this thread doesn't meet LRH forums criteria for a proper post, I apologize. My intention isn't to bash a manufacturer, but rather determine if the strong negative feelings other places share is based more on a mob mentality than facts...Thanks!

Last edited:
Quite simply I hunt with mostly Leupolds but if I absolutely wanted to trust dialing a scope and having it dead on I'd grab one of my rifles with a Nightforce NXS or ATACR on it.

I think Leupold makes great scopes for hunting and they're light weight for the magnification and reasonably dependable but I think Nightforce has a measurable edge once you reach for that reticle adjustment knob.

Would I bet a long range shot at a on a game animal I spent a lot of money to hunt on a Leupold if I had to twist the dials to make the shot? No

Would I bet that same shot on an NXS or ATACR Nightforce. Yes

I'm not bashing Leupold either. For the money they're very hard to beat and they'll be around for a long time to back their products and they're, for the most part, made in the USA.

By the way.... If you're going to buy a new or used Leupold check Gunbroker for pricing. Quite often you can buy a new one on Gunbroker for WAY less than anywhere else and quite often for less than used ones that are sold on the forums.

I'm also on the forum that you're talking about. I've had several Leupolds over the years without much trouble until I started turning turrets. My last two were VX5HD's and one of them wouldn't dial reliably. The other was acceptable but still not like it should be. So I sent both down the road. Until Leupold fixes their tracking issues I will no longer consider them. Of course I'm sure some supporters will be along shortly to sing the Leupy praises but the fact remains they're better scopes for dialing out there. Its a shame too because those 3-15x44 VX5HD's would be the perfect hunting scope IMHO if they only did what scopes should do reliably. Their set and forget scopes are decent but nothing really eye opening. As for dialers there is better options for your dollar. If anyone wants a great laugh go watch the live Q&A video session Leupold did with the members of the forum that the OP is talking about. It was laughable how Leupold handled it and was enough to turn anyone into a leupold hater

Ive never had a tracking issue with any Leupold scopes 😕
Or for any scopes Ive owned for that matter, Sightron, Bushnell.

Just call me lucky maybe 😁

But if they are not standing by their product with warranty then I don't think that would be good, I think they have a good reputation in that area??

Leupold Scopes...Do you trust them today?

No.

I have my personal biases to them, as I watched a rediculous amount of mk4's go down.

This was related to cheap products that they bought from asia "that they made in-house" and used in the erector assembly.

The cheaper line up has never been my thing. Im not so biases that I wouldn't admit that I had a mk5 and it's a good scope, and have a leupold 2800 rangefinder, but I wouldn't trust a mk5 in real world application as far as ruggedness. I think now a days the price isn't worth it compared to other items out there.

Last edited:
No.
I had one of my personal Leupolds go down. Sent it in for repairs, got it back, sold it.
I know 7 other guys who have had VX4, VX5HD, VX6HD, and Mark 6 go down on them. I also know plenty of guys who have never had issues. But 8 out of 40 or so is too poor of odds for me to risk.

All my leupolds are 15 years old and been well abused one had a tracking issue and one wouldn't hold zero sent both back and where both returned in less than a month
For my use I do trust them but my life ain't on the line and I don't compete
I do have a Kahles too

Had two, vx5hd and vx2 cds. Both wouldn't hold a reliable zero or track correctly, and the vx5 came with a canted reticle. I do not like Leupold, my old backup viper scope preformed better. I think they are so light weight for a reason, the internals are crap.

Call me lucky but my Mark 4 has always been faithfull and have a straight 10x with target turrets that has been faithfull also for dialing. My 2,5x8 has always moved correctly but I don't dial with it.

I got into leupolds early on my in shooting days, factory rifles, factory ammo, short range hunting. Big gripe was the tapping on the adjustment knobs was worthless, took a shot or two to set the adjustment in.

Then I got a really accurate varmint gun and started handloading, now I was cranking up and down for long range chuck hunting. It opened my eyes, tried to shoot a square on target and it was total failure. Started posting on forums and all you heard about was lack of tracking repeatability, OK sounded like my experience.

When I get into something I get in to it, near as I can remember it was 8 scopes went on the block at one time. Sold leupolds steady, that's one thing I'll say, always guys ready to buy em. Bought zeiss and bushnell elites, those elites are kinda amazing, they track like I'd never experienced. Perfect squares and held POI unless I moved it. My two load work up scopes are 4-16 elites with adj. obj. trust them completely on game or paper. Zeiss are my hunting scopes, track fine and also hold POI. That's all I want in a scope clear bright optics and reliable adjustments. Back up to 7 scopes now but none are leupolds, If other's like them good deal they're just not for me. Something about dog biting you a second time...… Dave

I had a Mark 5 for a year, and it tracked 100% on a tracking board & also under recoil for ~300 rounds on a Ti/Ca 7RM. I used that scope to shoot beyond 1,000 yards many times without drama. Small amount of data on a single scope, but I wouldn't have a problem buying another Mk5 based on that experience. That's the only Leupold I've owned so I can't comment on any other product.

I figured this was the situation...Too many shooters caught my attention about weak internals and lack of tracking for me to continue rolling the dice.

It became a question of maybe not today, but one day I'm going to get bit bad...I decided to error on the side of caution and tripped all mine that sat atop of my big fur rigs..

I'm only comfortable slumming a Leupold set/forget on a prairie dog town for a while now.

Thanks for confirming the unfortunate truth.

Ive had leo for 44 years.They have been good to me,shot most my game with them.var 2 and up.I had one from my Dad real old and broke cross hairs loose,vari 2.Had another fog,20 year old scope.Broke stocks horse hunting,hard rides in jeep and rokon.My mark 4 was on 338 NM,ten years.For 25 years vari 3 on 340 wby,still dialing that scope,black ring 4-14 mildot.So after getting into this post I do feel lucky,as it appears.My 338nm,light one has a march,got that in 2015,then mark 4 went to my heavier NM.The low end on that was 6.5,which is bit much,so I last year put on mark 5 which I really like.Most of the other scopes where heavier and more money for the features I wanted.But id have no problem,with NF,MARCH,S&B,etc. I had a SS on my 338nm for a while to its on 257wby. I also use to shoot elk out to 800 yrds with a Sheppard scope, that thing was weird,but worked:eek: YES Im jealous of LanceK scope and rifle collection, very nice...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.