• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Leupold Scope

David Zimprich

Hello I am looking for a Leupold scope that would fit on a .375h&h. I would like to get one that would work for both Brown Bear and Moose in Alaska. I would appreciate any advice that you may have.
Thanks in advance for your expert opinions.
David

See if you can find a 1st generation VX6. Capped turrets and very good optics. Plenty of power for what you are doing. 1 to 6 with the duplex reticle.

Last edited:
So I is the best setting in your opinion? Are they illuminated? And what type of yardage would this have. I am a complete novice. I bought a leupold x6 in 6-40 for elk hunting.
thank you for your experience.
David

Yes you can get them illuminated. But a waste of money in my eyes. If it is so dark you cannot see the animal or the reticle what good is illumination? The only use for it I can see would be a black bear in heavy timber. These scopes have a heavier crosshair than the VX3,s and it really stands out. And as I said the optics are awesome.A VX3 is like looking through a coke bottle compared to these. I can tell by your choice for elk you are a novice. If you cannot shoot big game like an elk or moose with a 10 or 12 power scope something is wrong. A moose or big bear field of view is more important. The 1 to 6 is a true 1 power and you can shoot both eyes open easily with 106 foot field of view at 100 yards. If something big and angry is coming fast that is what you need. I understand the rage these days is powerful optics. Jack OConnor used a straight 6 on his varmint rifle. I have 2 to 12 VX6 on my medium guns.I will never part with them.I have the 1 to 6 on my 375 rum.It is not a small game rifle. Remember something far away cannot bite you. Something close CAN. I always hunt with my scopes turned down as far as they will go. If I need more power I can always crank them up. Also remember a 375 is not a long range rifle.They get pretty tired after 300 yards. And a big bear is nothing to fool with. Never take a shot unless you can definitely kill him. No fun to dig out of the bushes.

Yes you can get them illuminated. But a waste of money in my eyes. If it is so dark you cannot see the animal or the reticle what good is illumination? The only use for it I can see would be a black bear in heavy timber. These scopes have a heavier crosshair than the VX3,s and it really stands out. And as I said the optics are awesome.A VX3 is like looking through a coke bottle compared to these. I can tell by your choice for elk you are a novice. If you cannot shoot big game like an elk or moose with a 10 or 12 power scope something is wrong. A moose or big bear field of view is more important. The 1 to 6 is a true 1 power and you can shoot both eyes open easily with 106 foot field of view at 100 yards. If something big and angry is coming fast that is what you need. I understand the rage these days is powerful optics. Jack OConnor used a straight 6 on his varmint rifle. I have 2 to 12 VX6 on my medium guns.I will never part with them.I have the 1 to 6 on my 375 rum.It is not a small game rifle. Remember something far away cannot bite you. Something close CAN. I always hunt with my scopes turned down as far as they will go. If I need more power I can always crank them up. Also remember a 375 is not a long range rifle.They get pretty tired after 300 yards. And a big bear is nothing to fool with. Never take a shot unless you can definitely kill him. No fun to dig out of the bushes.

Thanks for your advice, I am truly a novice, the 6 by 40 is for elk. I would never shoot a Bear or moose at long distance.
David