Leupold Rifleman Scopes

With optics, it's been my experience that you get what you pay for. You can have a leupy name, and if it's the cheapest they have on the shelf, you are looking at the lowest quality leupy that they have. Take a look at other posts from the past, and you should be able to make a very informed decision. Good Shootin'

Leupold has always made excellent scopes,and their warranty is the best in the business, however if you plan to use the scope under low light conditions and are seriously considering the Rifleman, LOOK ELSEWHERE. Light transmission is quite poor, with the single coated lenses. They are priced about the same as the Nikons at Wally World. The Nikon is considerably better at light transmission. If you can spend $300 get the Weaver Grand Slam 50mm. It is better than my 50mm Vari-X-III's. I was embarrassed when I made that comparison during a deer hunt a couple of years ago.

I got my first 3x9 leupold back in the 60's before alot of the multi coat lens etc. I consider the rifleman just like the old 3x9 just a good plain scope for the money. I kind of felt sorry for that old scope kind of turned that purple color so send back in the late 80's for a check up and they send me a new scope. Kind of getting old so can remember as good but think I paid about $79/$89 for that scope. I never did get a bill from leupold for that scope just a thank you note for being a loyal customer. I have that scope on my elk rifle. I know there may be better scope out there and leupold now charges for redoing a scope but they are a good company. The only other scope I ever consider on par with leupold was the old weaver T scopes. I've never hunted without using a leupold so cann't comment on any other brands. I'm glad to see leupold come out with a basic scope (rifleman) not everyone can afford a $300/$400 scope.

I see you mentioned Nikon scopes. I would think that their optics will be good but about other the features? Are fairly schock proof, adjustments accurate etc?

I just saw that SWFA is running a special. If you by a set of RB800 rangefinding binos, you get a 3-9x40 rifleman scope free.

Rick

Ruger, noticed you are in Canada too. Where?

For us, the best bang for the buck is the Elite 3200, for more money the Burris Fullfield II, a bit more the Elite 4200, then Nikons.

If you the lenses are not Fully multicoated, low light performance will be poor. The Bushnell Elites will provide better optical quality and can be service in Canada too.

A few mail order places are having some very nice pre season sales on the Elite 3200's.

Jerry

I have several Nikon Monarchs that are all very clear, have good adjustments etc... I have fallen down the bank with one and landed on a rock on the top of the scope with all my body weight, and the scope was still sighted in! Hope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.