Leupold Reticle Subtension

Hicks

I can't find this info on the net, and Leupold's "new" support site pretty much sucks right now. I hope they can get it working properly, but I bet sombody here knows or can tell me where I can find the answer to my question. I have a 6.5 - 20 X 40 AO Vari-X III fine plex, and I'd sure like to know what distances the reticle subtends at the various magnification ranges. The range finder decided to act up during elk season and I thought it would be nice to have a back up way to estimate distances. Does anybody know this info or where I could find it? I supposed I could call Leupold but I thought I'd try here first.

Thanks,

Hicks

I also apply the plex reticle for rangefinding, and the system i use is based on the mil-dot mil-ranging formula. Just substitute the plex subtension where the milliradian subtension is, and use it the same way the mil-dot is used. This is what i refer to as the modified mil-ranging formula.

I looked up the reticle subtensions for the new VX-III 6.5-20X, and they are 8.5 and 2.8 inch per hundred yds. plex post tip to post tip respectively. Of course the 20X subtension is too narrow to use for big game, but the 6.5 would work well enuf. Using say 25 inches for back to brisket bull maybe here's the ranging chart--

25 x 100 / 8.5 / 1.0 = 300 yds. (bull brackets the plex post tip to plex post tip 100% or 1.0 of a "subtension unit")

294 / 0.9 = 325

294 / 0.8 = 370

294 / 0.7 = 420

294 / .6 = 490

294 / .5 (x-hair) = 590

Here's the range sticker--

6X-1.0-300
.9-325
.8-370

etc. to as far out as u feel comfortable using it.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Question: where did you look up the reticle subtension? I can not find it anywhere, including Leupold's site. Also, stupid question, can you explain which dimension is which (8.5 vs 2.8)? Is that vertical and horizontal?

Hicks

Exactly! The optics catalogs are the handiest resources u can ever have, IMO.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Question: where did you look up the reticle subtension? I can not find it anywhere, including Leupold's site. Also, stupid question, can you explain which dimension is which (8.5 vs 2.8)? Is that vertical and horizontal?

Hicks

It's not a stupid ? at all. Take a look thru your scope and adjust the power--u will quickly see which dimension is which. 8.5 IPHY = 6.5X, and it is good for the vertical axis as well as horizontal.

Thanks, I will order one today! And, thanks for the clarification on the dimensions. I'd be nice of Leupold to put that stuff on their site though.

Hicks

Yes it would!! Call them and tell them to put it back on there. It used to be there. I don't know who the genius was that decided to "downgrade" the site.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.