Leupold Reticle Recommendations

Years ago, I called Leupold Customer Service, and asked about their crosshairs. He told me that the standard crosshairs cover 6/10ths of and inch at 100-yards, and their fine crosshairs cover 2/10ths. I love their Varminters reticle with fine crosshairs at the bench. My targets that I made on AutoCAD have crosshairs of .25-inch, and the scope crosshairs would fit within them. :D Good at 200-yards too. - The scope was a Vari-X3 Side-Focus 4.5-14x50mm (30mm tube). - A good all-around scope for varmints and big game.

https://riflescopesinfo.wordpress.com/2014/01/23/leupold-varmint-hunter-reticle/

Fits on 8.5 x 11 paper

Actually, Leupold's reticle subtension info is available on line.

You can also find it in the Reticle database that comes with the Strelock Pro Ballistics Program.

Strelock Pro can also be used to dial in a ballistics Reticle as I described earlier.

I like your approach to such matters. I started to create charts like that for all my Reticles back in the mid sixtys. The early duplex Reticles could be used for lots of things with the right knowledge. Till Strelok Pro started doing it for me.

Firedot duplex for me.

I had the TMOA and although it's not bad I prefer the simplicity of the simple duplex.

I also have a wind plex reticle in a VX5HD and it's really good. Not as busy as the TMOA but still has MOA hash marks for wind calls. It doesn't have illumination though but it's bold enough to see in low light.

I tried FFP scope reticles and quickly sold them. Not for me in a hunting scope.

Thanks everyone for all of the great information. I really appreciate all of the insight. You've all been so helpful. Now to re-read all of the responses again and pull the trigger on something (no pun intended).

Roger.

I had gradually switched all my scopes to FFP (or fixed) mil scopes. Then I decided I dont actually like FFP for hunting, at least on a scope in my price range. I also don't like heavy scopes in the mountains. Both MOA and mils work easily in my mind, they are just different ways of measuring angles. I switched to FFP because I dont like the opportunity to botch a shot by using subtensions at the wrong power setting. So for my hunting scope, I went back to SFP but ditched the subtensions. VX6hd 2-12, duplex. For a shot long enough to matter, I'll dial the wind if needed. In my mind that leaves less room for error than using a reticle that requires being on the highest power for accuracy. When shooting at game, I want a wide FOV to minimize the chance of losing them in the scope after the shot so I prefer not to be at highest power. That is my rational for the duplex.

If your concerned about not having time to dial the CDS, i would choose the TMOA as it has the hash marks on the vertical post. For me its not too busy, but i can see others point of being a bit distracting...…I think only the windplex reticle is available on the VX5 & the TMOA is only available on the VX6 models......If i had the bucks, id go with the VX6-HD 3-18x44 CDS ZL2 in TMOA , it is illuminated, nice in timber, but u can turn it off if you don't need it.

Hello all,

I'm looking for recommendations for reticle for a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 to mount on a 300 win mag (Duplex, Windplex, HTMR, Illum FireDot Duplex, Boone & Crocket, Impact -29 MOA. I'm only looking for hunting purposes (elk) and anticipate a variety of shooting ranges from up close out to 400-500 yards. As someone that grew up on simple cross hairs, I'd appreciate and thoughts on which reticles may be most beneficial for hunting. While the CDS sounds nice, I can imagine there may not always be time to dial in the range. Thanks to anyone for taking the time to respond.

Roger.

I've been waiting for your assessment and decision. Since you have not done that yet, I thought I'd give you another plug for the Boone & Crockett. To support that, I took a screen shot of Strelok Pro after setting it up for the Winchester 300 MAG and 180 Silvertip Factory Ammo. So the program calculates the trajectory for that ammo (or any ammo you choose including handloads) and provides an output at your selected range with your chosen Reticle. I've chosen the Boone and Crockett on your scope which is included in the Strelok database. As a matter of fact, the other Reticles are there too so you could compare them too if you wanted.

Anyway, this screenshot is for a 200 yard zero, a 500 yard elk, a 10mph wind, for 180 grain Silvertip 300 WinMag ammo.

I don't use the program for hunting. Just for what-if scenarios and setups. After 60 years of hunting, I don't need or carry a rangefinder or fiddle with my Turrets. I like to spot my game, estimate the range, use the appropriate hold-over hash mark, and squeeze the trigger.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210418-104308_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20210418-104308_Strelok Pro.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 101
My son qualified expert Marines for six years rifle and pistol,been to there SWAT training too.He uses one of my old B&C ,dials of the small hash if needed for longer.KISS system

I had gradually switched all my scopes to FFP (or fixed) mil scopes. Then I decided I dont actually like FFP for hunting, at least on a scope in my price range. I also don't like heavy scopes in the mountains. Both MOA and mils work easily in my mind, they are just different ways of measuring angles. I switched to FFP because I dont like the opportunity to botch a shot by using subtensions at the wrong power setting. So for my hunting scope, I went back to SFP but ditched the subtensions. VX6hd 2-12, duplex. For a shot long enough to matter, I'll dial the wind if needed. In my mind that leaves less room for error than using a reticle that requires being on the highest power for accuracy. When shooting at game, I want a wide FOV to minimize the chance of losing them in the scope after the shot so I prefer not to be at highest power. That is my rational for the duplex.
Your last point is a good one - 15X is mighty high magnification to be on if the animal bolts and a follow-up shot is required. BUT, regarding the Windplex, as well as the the other Leupold reticles that have fixed reticle subtensions "valid" only at max power:
On the VX5 HD 3-15, there is a very distinct tic mark on the power ring at the 7.5X point, such that you can precisely set that magnification. IMO, 7.5X is plenty out to 500-600 yards and still a pretty decent field of view. With the power set here, all you have to do is realize each of the windage increment tics in the reticle is doubled. IOW, with the 3X-15X Windplex, set at 7.5X the large 5 MOA tic is actually 10 MOA and each of the small 1 MOA tics are 2 MOA.

I just noted that 7.5X tic mark yesterday while boresighting it and was thinking how very useful it would be when I did not want to turn it up to 15X in a "moderate" range situation.

Cheers,
Rex

With the power set here, all you have to do is realize each of the windage increment tics in the reticle is doubled. IOW, with the 3X-15X Windplex, set at 7.5X the large 5 MOA tic is actually 10 MOA and each of the small 1 MOA tics are 2 MOA.

And similarly, the elevation ticks on a Ballistic Reticle magically become doubled too. At half magnification, the zero is still 200, but the deltas double from 100 to 200 so the first hash becomes 400 and the second 600, etc etc

That said, I personally think the field of view concern is over-rated. I usually scan with Binoculars, and sometimes locate at low mag and then crank it up without even looking at the dial. Frankly, I've never had a problem finding my target even in my high powered varmint scopes equipped with the varmint bdc reticle which is similar to the Boone & Crocket but optimized for higher magnifications. Then again, I don't close my left eye so lining things up is easy. Maybe it's just experience, but nobody I know has a problem either.

For what it's worth, I would never pull the trigger on an animal that bolts at long range. Close in, dial er down without looking and use the center cross hairs. Just my opinion.

The nice thing about Ballistics Reticles and variable scopes is that you can choose your parameters with a little homework. After that, everything is lightning fast in the field. Nothing to think about, nothing to remember, nothing to calculate.

Look how easy Strelok makes it to show what happens at 7x with the 300WinMag. Of course, you can also play with the zero to line things up and the confirm on targets. I like to call the process "calibrating".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210422-070617_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20210422-070617_Strelok Pro.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Hey Roger21, I tried to send you a PM but it does not appear to work. I see you're new here - I've forgotten but perhaps there are a minimum number of posts before you can send or receive PMs?
I have a sealed, NIB VX5HD 3-15x44 that might interest you. Email me at teerex1 at flash dot net if you are interested.

Cheers,
Rex