Leupold Reticle Recommendations

Hello all,

I'm looking for recommendations for reticle for a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 to mount on a 300 win mag (Duplex, Windplex, HTMR, Illum FireDot Duplex, Boone & Crocket, Impact -29 MOA. I'm only looking for hunting purposes (elk) and anticipate a variety of shooting ranges from up close out to 400-500 yards. As someone that grew up on simple cross hairs, I'd appreciate and thoughts on which reticles may be most beneficial for hunting. While the CDS sounds nice, I can imagine there may not always be time to dial in the range. Thanks to anyone for taking the time to respond.

Roger.
If you have time to use your range finder you have time to turn up the turret. Takes about 2 seconds after you get the proper range. Can't use the B&C reticle without knowing the range.

Hello all,

I'm looking for recommendations for reticle for a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 to mount on a 300 win mag (Duplex, Windplex, HTMR, Illum FireDot Duplex, Boone & Crocket, Impact -29 MOA. I'm only looking for hunting purposes (elk) and anticipate a variety of shooting ranges from up close out to 400-500 yards. As someone that grew up on simple cross hairs, I'd appreciate and thoughts on which reticles may be most beneficial for hunting. While the CDS sounds nice, I can imagine there may not always be time to dial in the range. Thanks to anyone for taking the time to respond.

Roger.
The Windplex would allow you to correct for wind without dialing your wind knob. Of course you'd need to be at full power for them to be 1 MOA marks.

Hello all,

Roger.
TMOA here with a vx5hd 4-20-52 love it. Impact 29 looked similar if i remember correctly. Tmoa helps for windage holds or even elevation if you know your subtentions which at full power is 1 moa.

Hello all,

Roger.
I will start by saying
Hello all,

Roger.
Hard to find these days but I used to send my Leupold scopes and have fine crosshairs with a very small dot. I dont like to get a shot off in a hurry especially shooting long distances. I know this is not the norm and respect all of the other means and ways to hit an animal but I just wont shoot unless I can dial in and take the most precise shot possible. Definitely prefer 2nd focal plane. It can be confusing in the heat of the moment with so many marks and other things blocking a clear sight picture.

I recently purchased two of those scopes - one is on a 300 WSM and the other will be mounted on a 280 Ackley Improved. the one on the 300 has been superb so far with with adjustments perfectly in tune with the clicks. Both of my scopes are of the standard Duplex variety. I have not yet sent the CDS back to Leupold for calibration as I have not yet decided the load I want to use. I have been using the 168 Barnes TTSX at about 3140 FPS, but their long range 175 Grain bullet looks good also - I just haven't been able to obtain any to try out. For my purposes, the Simple duplex works well.-

I used a LRP 4.5 x 14 TMOA last fall. Great scope but for low light and dark back ground it doesn't work for me. It is one of my favorite scopes shooting at the range.

I have three of the CDS with Windplex. The serve me well in hunting conditions, but I'm not a super long range guy. 800 max.

I have the windplex on my elk rifle. Recommend by a well know guide. I really like it. Quick to dial for elevation, then use the hashes to hold for wind

I'm looking for recommendations for reticle for a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 to mount on a 300 win mag (Duplex, Windplex, HTMR, Illum FireDot Duplex, Boone & Crocket, Impact -29 MOA. I'm only looking for hunting purposes (elk) and anticipate a variety of shooting ranges from up close out to 400-500 yards. ......

As someone who grew up on simple cross hairs (and iron sights) too. I hear you. I am going to give you some advice you won't hear from others as well as some hard to understand technical info. But if you follow me, and understand my message, I think you will LOVE that advice.

I too am NOT a fan of making turret adjustments before a shot. Even if I have the time, it is a recipe for a fiasco in my mind. Almost all of my rifles have leupold scopes on them with ballistics reticles. I don't have to memorize anything.

First, you need to understand that leupolds ranging reticles (varmint and Boone & Crockett) are what I call scaleable reticles. They can be adjusted to match your bullets trajectory. I zero all my rifles at 200 yards. Then I shoot another group at 500 yards using THE CENTER CROSS HAIRS. Obviously, the group will be low. NOW COMES THE IMPORTANT PART:

Still holding the center cross hairs on the center of the target, adjust the scope's variable power ring until the 500 yard tick mark on the ballistics reticle coincides with your 500 yard group. (You can use 300, or 400 or 600 too, but I like 500.)

As if by magic, all the other tick marks will automatically line up with where groups at other ranges are. Perhaps not perfectly, but well within acceptable impact points for hunting purposes.

This magic happens because the reticles are ballistics reticles. And unbeknown to most shooters, ballistics are scalable. Leupold engineers understood this when they designed their ballistics reticles. Then the marketing guys got ahold of it and tried to over-simplify it with tables of groups of cartridges and velocities for each velocity mark on the adjustment ring. They successfully screwed it all up. But the good news is that it's easy to compensate. Just dial the power in to work for YOUR load and YOUR trajectory. Your power setting probably won't coincide with one of the two ballistics group triangles, but so what. Just remember what your adjustment is and you are good to go.

I marry a scope to each of my rifles for life, so I put a teeny tiny dab of my wife's red nail polish on the power rings for their load. If I have two loads for a given rifle, that have a big trajectory difference, then I put two marks on the power ring. It's easy to remember which one to use for which load. Faster always equates to using more magnification.

Once in a blue moon, I find an article describing this technique in more detail. But I think ballistics has been distorted into a black art by most people. It really need not be so complicated.

Here is my simple description. Bullet drop is all about time. TIME IS EVERYTHING. Every bullet of every shape, weight, and ballistics coefficient drops toward the ground at more or less exactly the same time in response to gravity. But initial velocity, ballistics coefficients and aiming angle all change how far it will go before that drop time occurs. Faster bullets only appear to drop less. But they really don't. They drop exactly the same amount in the same amount of time. They just go further in that same amount of time which makes them LOOK like they drop less. We humans have a hard time seeing the bullets flight in terms of elapsed time in fractions of a second. We prefer to use distance instead because we can see it and judge it more easily. But time is everything.

This fundamental science is what Leupold engineers understood and most shooters don't. And that is why I love Leupold's ballistics reticles such as the Boone & Crockett and the Varmint.

Hello all,

Roger.
Years ago, I called Leupold Customer Service, and asked about their crosshairs. He told me that the standard crosshairs cover 6/10ths of and inch at 100-yards, and their fine crosshairs cover 2/10ths. I love their Varminters reticle with fine crosshairs at the bench. My targets that I made on AutoCAD have crosshairs of .25-inch, and the scope crosshairs would fit within them. :D Good at 200-yards too. - The scope was a Vari-X3 Side-Focus 4.5-14x50mm (30mm tube). - A good all-around scope for varmints and big game.

https://riflescopesinfo.wordpress.com/2014/01/23/leupold-varmint-hunter-reticle/

Fits on 8.5 x 11 paper

Attachments

• TARGET.jpg
    TARGET.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I use the B&C, Varmint, Diplex, and MilDot with some CDS. I like being able to dial. Remember, that You don't have to dial. I sight my rifles to shoot within two to three inches of point of aim, the depending of the cartridge. That way if i'm within my maximum point blank range, I'll always hit within two or three inches of my sight in point. I also leave my scope's power at a lower setting and only increase power and dial for distance if I have time.