Leupold problem.

Almost makes me wonder if the scope is possibly "counterfeit". It's hard to imagine Leupold would send this out as acceptable...

My experience with a 4-16X50 HS Viper, are these made in Philippines (PI)? - lower prices <= cheap labor

Despite the 50mm objective lens this scope is only fair in brightness. OK on a bright sunny day on some prairie dog shoot but in the late afternoon on a dull day the scope's brightness limitations are obvious. My Leupold 6-18X40 VX2 's & 6.5-20X40 VX3, VXIII are much brighter. Vortex service is superb. When I received the scope and was unable to really get a sharp focus - always just slightly off. Vortex replaced or reset the objective lens assembly and returned the scope in 6 business days but the dimness continued to be an aggravation. Lens coatings and glass quality matter - the Leupold scopes cost more but have superior glass/coatings and are brighter despite having 40mm objectives vs. 50 mm for this Vortex.

My home made Snellen chart set up at 300 yards, 20 min after sunset was used to compare both brands, the Leupold's were set at 16X.

Seems like saving some money makes inferior stuff more acceptable. Could not wait to trade it - spend low buy again, spend high spend once. Got a good deal on a 5 year old Leupold 6.5-20X40 VXIII at SWFA, but lost more than $0.02 in this deal

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.