Leupold Priced Right?

yote doctor

This is a Vari X lll in 3.5-10 x40 LR 30mil tube. It has the side focus and the M1 turrets with a fine target dot recticle. I found some info online thats telling me this is the Pre Mark 4 model that came out between 1998-2002 or maybe longer and sold for 800-1000. Scope is in great condition and the lowest he will go is $550 american. Did anybody own one of these and is this a well priced scope?

That's not bad or great either. The scope is probably worth that, but he might be a tad high. I'd offer him $500.00 in five, crisp, new $100.00 bills. There are simply too many scopes on the market that are as good as that one for less money, and equally as many that are better for a little more money. Of course, Leupold has their famous warranty; if it breaks they'll fix it no matter the reason or who broke it. But, there are a few other scope companies that offer the same warranty, and even beat Leupold at their own game. One such company is Vortex. Vortex is hitting on all cylinders now and will literally do back flips if that's what it would take to make a customer happy. I think Vortex's warranty service is a tad faster than Leopold's, and as a result, we as consumers win. If I had the $$$ I'd get a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 in the FFP configuration (850.00), which may be more than you want to part with. Vortex also makes the PST in a SFP for about $700.00. IMNTBHO, I think you're getting a lot more scope in the Vortex compared to a dated, decade-old Leupold for only $150.00 more. I know it's easy to throw around the "only's" when it's not my money, but I believe for the extra $150.00 you're getting a lot more than just an extra $150.00 in scope. Vortex is on top of their game and they're listening to shooters and giving them what they want in a scope. The only hiccup for me is the Vortex Razor and that beer-can-sized elevation turret. I couldn't handle that.

Last edited:
I did try giving him 5 for it but it was a no go. Thats about as high as I wanted to go so will probably walk away. I do like the exposed turrets which I am wanting in a scope right now. I will look into the Vortex since I havent given them a chance yet. Thanks for the feedback!

I have that scope in 1" on my Model 70 in 250-3000 and tipped over a nice Antelope buck at 320yds. last fall. I do have two 6.5-20x40 LR's with the Varmint reticle on my 221 Fireball's and really like them.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.