Leupold, Nightforce, or ??

Pat B.

I am gathering pieces of equipment for some medium to long range shooting/hunting. Would like to be able to "click" my scope to whatever yardage out to around 1k.. On the scope purchase, money is not an issue, I'd rather get it right the first time !!
What scope would you guys reccomend for this application ?
Thanks,
Pat

Frank D. gave good advise, the 5.5-22 is becoming a benchmark scope for superb optics, reliability and toughness. While the 5.5-22 is a great scope, my preference is for the 3.5-15x50 since 15 is about the max we use for field shooting, plus the overall size is much smaller for carrying. I have used this scope on dozens of hunts and it just does the job. Also available in 56mm if you like bigger scopes - I have never had a problem with light transmittion with my 50mm. The 5.5-22 is now also available in 50mm, but I only use my scope on 22 on the bench.
Obviously NXS is a good way to go, but the new long range Leupolds are also tough, reliable scopes. The Nikon tactical has also proved itself on many hunts we do, the 2.5-10's are very good scopes. Also use the bigger 4-16's a lot, great optics and reliable turrets.
For hunting and field shooting, high power is not as important as we might expect. Mirage takes its way with the sight picture, worse as the power goes up. 15-16 seems to be about max where I shoot, even ten is adequate for 1000 yards.
Consider an NPR-2 reticle, or mildots. I would also buy a Scopecoat to protect the scope from dings and dirt.
Good luck, buying the best is a good way to to start off, rather than working up to the topend scopes.

If money is no object, then go all the way with a US Optics SN-3.

You simply can't get a better scope on this planet! EREK knob w/ 1/2 moa clicks, and your all set.

The only draw back to this scope would be it's weight. You really need to be in a stand, blind, or hide of some kind. I wouldnt want to drag this scope around all day.

I think you may be just a little miss informed Nightforce and Us Optice are infearior to Sb ..Please!! explain where you came up with tha ridiculas thought??? both scopes that you mentioned that are inferior have better choice of retical and the glass is just as clear! I don't have a SB but I do have two NXS 5.5x22x50 with the NP-R2 ret and have looked and shot the SB and in my opinion they are nice ..the (Sb) but Way!! overpriced! just IMHO.

Keith Out
grin.gif

Agree with the 5-22NF with R-2 reticle.Be warned though that you will want one on every gun you own and it can get spendy.I got around this by buying IORs with MP-8 reticles,They are cheaper and can aford to put one on every gun
grin.gif

"Schmidt & Bender 4-16x50 PMII. thats the scope.
NXS and USO are inferior.
Pete"

The S&B is a great choice as well. They are a great scope, no doubt.

USO inferior to S&B??

Well, on the S&B website they have a slogan that sums up the companies attiude.
"See it our way"(I guess that's why they only offer 5 differant PMII models.
smile.gif
)
Actually 4.

USO's attitude is that of a custom scope maker. We'll build it YOUR way...sakofan..
grin.gif

I agree with you Sakofan ...oll Pete must be hittin the crack pie again
confused.gif

all three scopes mentioned are great and to each his own but just because US optics will build it anyway you want it reall don't
mean anything to me ..so what you get to pick the tupe ..what the hell ya gunna do put it in your carpenter bags and use it as your new hammer! Don't think so! yes uso has a great choose of reticals but so does Nightforce ...now the SB are a bit more limited ..I now have 2 NXS 5.5x22x50 and getting ready to order a 3.5x15x50 and I would lay money that my NXS is just as clear as
SB. Us Optics may a little edge on them but for the price unless you wanna just through money away go for it! Please don't mis understand me I'm not say USO is a wast of money because they are not ..but you can get **** near the same thing from Nightforce for cheaper and is still tough as nails! not trying to get flamed her but this is just IMHO

Keith Out

Think about this....

S&B ..awesome really awesome but pretty pricy!

USO.. hell only in my dreams BIG $$$ for them...

the NXS is affordable and the optics hang with S&B and USO..
I would go with the 3.5-15 NXS and the R2 ret. Here's why...
proven toughness and reliability.. and with the R2 ret. most times you dont even need to spin the turrets for MEd range or even some long range stuff... the hash markes are 2 MOA .. zero on the top one and you have a long way to shoot without touching the turrets... I used this technique for about a year now and have made hits to 1200 yards with the 300WSM and the 308 is just deadly to about 750!!!

[ 10-22-2004: Message edited by: Ric Horst ]

KAC1345, That's an interesting story about the USO on the .223. I do agree with you, but you have the give the guy credit, he's not shy about putting good glass on a rifle. I see so many shooters purchasing great rifles and putting poor glass on them. What a waste. Good glass makes all the diff. He just needs to consider the application more closely.

--------------------------------------------

Experience the best, Judge the rest!!

Steve

I have to totaly agree with PracTac..that is the biggest problem now days guys spend 3k on a rifle and then 2-300$ on a scope whats the point! I know there are some decent scopes in that price range but nothing stands up tp a Nightforce or SB or even a USO when compared to say a SS or somthing along those lines....it just makes you shake your head and wonder why?
rolleyes.gif
atleast I can say the poor guy with the HUGE USO on the .223 has a decent scope if he ever builds a gun worthy of it ...or should I say a gun that will use it to its potential.
Keith Out

Well, I have one more thing to say and I'll let this thread go nite-nite.

I paid $1650 for my SN-3, 3.2-17x44mm, EREK knob, and MOA reticle. I couldn't buy an equal S&B PMII for that price, I don't think.

A NF would have cost close to that. I like NF. Great scope.
I'm not crazy about RFP reticles, but that's me.

People seem to equate USO with big$$$.

That may be true, but I don't see S&B or NF offering a group buy on any of the forums knocking $500 or $600 off their top shelf scopes like JBWII did for us at SH. Again, I only frequent a couple and that statement may not be valid.

Guys, everybody here has gave great advice to the original poster. NF,USO and S&B are all great scopes with outstanding CS dept. and have a loyal following. Any of 3 would make a terrific setup.

Pete, didnt mean to knock the great Schmidt and Bender co, who makes such outstanding optical equipment. Just wanted to spar with you a little...sakofan..
smile.gif

SF,

I am not sure if USO has the Zero stop or not but that in itself is a great think NF has...
I am not familiar with USO all that much mostly cause I could get into the Badger Base, Rings and the NF scope for the price of a USO...

I would however gladly swap my 5.5-22 NXS with an Equal USO to try it out though...

but the USO has to have the same options
5.5-22X or comparable the 3-17 might be OK
1/4 min clicks
Lit Ret
Etched Ret.
Zero Stop
and no covers on the turrets

not sure what that USO scope with those options would cost....

The biggest advantage I see with the the NF and the R2 is that you don't always have to use clicks if you know you cartridges performance ...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.