Leupold mounting advise

wingman

Hello all, i have on order a 6.5-20x40 LR VX-III. It has 30mm tube. Will be mounted on my 700 .300 RUM i shoot 185 gr Bergers with 94.5 gr of Retumbo. Right now i have a nikon buckmaster on it and it will shoot .5 MOA @ 350. I am going to get a turret from Leupold as well. My question is this.. is it possible to get 1000yds out of this set up with one turn of the turret? If so what do i need for mounting hardware? I had planned on the Burris Signature rings with the inserts to maybe get more MOA out of the scope, but do i need a 30 or 40 MOA base as well?? Any advise will be greatly appreciated! thanks!

You will need 20 MOA to reach 1000 with that set-up (give or take a few clicks). Your scope has 15 MOA per rotation, so you will be in the vicinity of 850 yards with a single rotation. This is with a 200 yard zero ( a 300 yard zero won't quite get you there either). Your specific velocity and altitude will dictate what you actually need.

The scope has 90 MOA of total adjustment, so you should end up with enough "up" to get you to 1000 yards, but Remingtons sometimes zero closer to the upper end so a 20 MOA base might be a good idea. Theres no real drawbacks to using one.

I do a lot of dials for the 300 RUM w/VLDs and they are always within a few clicks up or down of 1000 with one rotation of our scope (20 MOA).
Medium rings should do the trick, but if you have a stock with a high comb, you may find that high rings line up your eye with the scope more naturally.

Thanks for the expert advise Don! i greatly appreciate it! as far as the Burris rings, would you go with the standard same size inserts or would you try to get some additional "room" by using different sizes? I am really just starting to dive into this, so i'm trying to be a "sponge" and absorb as much as i can.. I missed a yote at 467 the other day and i'm ready to make them have to run a bit farther to get away from me! hahaha. On a serious note, i really respect what you guys there at Grey Bull do, you and John were the ones that really got my interest up in the Long Range stuff. right now my gun is pretty stock. except for the Vais brake that i had put on it. Next in line is a rifle basix trigger. I have to do this all in steps as i'm on a pretty tight budget. But thanks to Cabela's gift cards i'm getting a new scope sooner than later!

Thanks again!

My 300 RUM is dialing 17.5 MOA with a 200 gr accubond at 1000 yards. I would definitely use a slanted base for versatility. 15 moa or 20 moa would work great.

Wingman - we prefer to add MOA at the base instead of the rings, but lots of guys have used the Burris rings with success. I don't have enough first-hand experience to give them a thumbs up or down.

Thanks Don and Highridge for he input! i really appreciate it.. i'm going to go with a 20 MOA base. It sounds like with that base and scope i can get to 1000 with one turn of the turret ( i hope). I'll post again as soon as i get set up. Scope should be here next week, then to the range for some Chrono time, and send for turret... then the fun begins!! thanks again for all the great knowledge!!

Wingman, On the bigger bombers I prefer a heavier ring. I have the Burriss on my 223.They are light w/single torx. There tactical line are wide w/3 torx, but heavier about 5-6 oz. My favorite are sold on this site Seekins 2 torx at about 4oz. I like Nightforce and mark 4's.

Lots of good advise from Don Ward there for sure. As for the scope mounts have you considered a NEAR set up? If you want the best of the best go NEAR. Take a look at their website, Near Manufacturing.
I have a Near Alpha mount on my 300 Weatherby MKV. It is out of the box with no modifications and shoots 1.5 inches at 400 meters with 190 and 210 grain Burger VLD. You can order an Alpha mount with 15 or 20 MOA built in. I also have a Near heavy duty picatinney double rail 3 ring scope mounting system on my 338/378 Weatherby Accumark. The system was 535 bucks and is beautiful and worth every penny. I figure on a hard kicking rifle you need something holding your scope that is rock solid and will not move. The Near systems just as any picitanney rail system will also keep your action from twisting your scope tubes when you fire your weapon

Cheers & TIghter Groups: Eaglesnester

All great advise
You will need a 20moa base for what you want to do
I would use heavier rings and bases
I prefer the seekins
retiredcpo

I use a Badger 20moa base & Burris XTR rings (6 screws per ring) on my custom 338 RUM. I don't know if the signature rings are the right set for your rig, I have used them a BUNCH & really like them, however the surface clamping area is a good bit smaller than you are going to see on the Night Force, MK 4's, XTR's etc. If I was building from scratch again (i'm sure I will!) or were to be asked for recommendations, I would definately recommend (base line) 1913 picatinny base ~20moa with the "larger" rings than the Burris Signatures for high recoiling rifles. This will ensure a very strong setup while mitigating the possiblity for the scope to "slip" inside the rings due to high recoil energy.

If you decide to upgrade to stronger rings I recommend lapping them as well to fully benefit from their higher strength (while avoiding scope damage from inconsistent pressure).

Hope this helps!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.