Leupold MK5 or Vortex AMG?

Squatch

I am up grading my scope. Trying to decide between these 2. It is going on a 6.5x284 that is used for both targets and typical low light hunt situations. Upgrading from a PST G2.
Thanks for the feedback

With the experience you have in the G2, the AMG would be a logical choice. I have a couple AMG's, and they're hard to beat for a dual purpose hunting/target scope. They aren't terribly heavy, have excellent glass and very good reticles. My experience with the MK5 was that the glass seemed a bit less sharp and the eye box seemed tight to me.

In similar magnification range the amg comes with a 30mm tube and a max travel of 71 moa.
Luepold has 120 moa from a 34mm tube and a 56mm objective.

not arguing, but the no questions asked lifetime warranty from Vortex is pretty on point as well. I've had them go through a couple scopes, and they've done a full refresh and had them back to me in less than 2 weeks usually. seems pretty decent.

You will not beat Vortex warranty(insert joke here). Leupold does not have a great track record when it comes to dialing. I feel there are too many other options to even consider taking a chance with Leupold. AMGs have a good reputation and I can tell you form experience they have some of the best glass under $3500. If you liked the PST then I think the AMG is the obvious choice. I would also suggest looking at the NX8.

Can't go wrong with either one. Both are backed by excellent warranties.

Look at the reticles, see if the extra elevation travel on the MK5 is really important to you now, or potentially in the future. The MK5 windage knob is capped, that slows some people up. Little larger eyebox on the AMG for a given magnification then the MK5. I've owned both at the same time, I only own the AMG now, my personal preference between the 2.

I've had to use warranty for both Companies, they both handled things excellent. Vortex did turn it in 5 business days including shipping to meet a match date. Leup was 4 weeks.

Both are excellent optics, you can't make a bad choice.

Can't go wrong with either one. Both are backed by excellent warranties.

Look at the reticles, see if the extra elevation travel on the MK5 is really important to you now, or potentially in the future. The MK5 windage knob is capped, that slows some people up. Little larger eyebox on the AMG for a given magnification then the MK5. I've owned both at the same time, I only own the AMG now, my personal preference between the 2.

I've had to use warranty for both Companies, they both handled things excellent. Vortex did turn it in 5 business days including shipping to meet a match date. Leup was 4 weeks.

Both are excellent optics, you can't make a bad choice.
Nothing like someone who has had them both

I like my mark 5 better than my 3-24x52 March F1.Very clear,like the turrets and zero stop,like the windage cap

I have 4 AMGs and 2 Mark 5s. Though my Mark 5s are of the 3.6-18 variety so they aren't a perfect match to the size and features of the AMG. The AMG and Mark 5 are my two favorite FFP scopes.

I think they are both excellent and fairly similar in terms of quality and features.

I use the AMGs on target rifles, and the Mark 5s on Long Range hunting rifles because they are shorter and lighter in the 3.6-18 configuration.

If size doesn't matter... the fact that you can buy AMGs used for around 1700 bucks makes it a steal. I paid between 2000-2500 for all 4 of mine.

Can't go wrong either way in my experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.