Leupold MK4 Sunshade

Stugotz

Does anyone know a Leupold part # for 4" matte sunshade for a MK4 6.5X20 (post 2004)? Midway lists sunshades for 50mm Obj., but product notes for them say it's for Adjustable Objective only. Can't find any mention of shades for side focus scopes on the Leupold site.

The one that you speak of will work. The threads are the same on all of the objective ends. It doesn't matter, new or old. They started threading the eypieces on the new scopes to accomodate some of their new accessories.

Re: Leupold MK4/VX3 Sunshade

Leupold link towards bottom of page under Aluminia 50ft adapter. Part number 523353 Ok for Feb 2004 onwards including VX3. Pre Feb 2004 ie Vari X 3 need to have front bell thread replaced.

Option is to use a Leupold fit Killflash known as an ARD , http://www.premierreticles.com/catalog/i...741&clist=0,94222,132619 these screw directly onto the front bell and cut the light down approx 19% + all the benefits of a sunshade without the lengh. Heard conflicting reports on the cheap equivalents from elsewhere.

I'll check tomorrow, but I know I screwed 2 sunshades that my place of employment had for years onto two new Mark 4's. I'll try also try the new sunshades we have on my old vari x 3.

I can check at the weekend whether the Aluminia stuff screws onto the older Vari x 3.
50ft adapter pre 2004 part no. 31682
50ft adapter post 2004 part no. 59021
Have a look at pdf file, cannot cut and paste so where it says Alumina at start of paragraph. http://www.leupold.com/corporate/press_releases/2005/Alumina_NR.pdf
Also bottom right corner about retro threading. http://www.leupold.com/resources/custom_shop/Leupold_Custom_Shop_Order_Form.pdf

Should be able to confirm by the end of the week if above links are incorrect.

I just screwed Leupold part # 52353 onto my Vari X III 4.5-14x50mm. We just got these shades in so I know they are the new ones. It says fits post 2003 models. I find it hard to believe that my scope was made post 2003. I'll try and screw an alumina cover on it tonight.

[ QUOTE ]
Option is to use a Leupold fit Killflash known as an ARD , ....these screw directly onto the front bell and cut the light down approx 19% + all the benefits of a sunshade without the lengh. Heard conflicting reports on the cheap equivalents from elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]I can also say first hand that the ARD/KILLFLASH affects the image quality. I doubt teh version made for Leupold by ARD is any different. If lens reflection killing is the aim - then fine, I can accept the arguments. If Image sharpening is teh aim - Then I personally would stick to good old fashioned long sunshades.

I will let you off Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif, the one that screws to the Leups does give a darker image something that you get used to within 5 minutes but must disagree no loss of definition, i use mine when its raining rather than the Raincote and or a sunshade, nothing worse than water on the lenses, do you try and dry/clean off and make things worse or leave it?

Per the Leupold tech line, any accessory marked for scopes manufactured after 2004 will fit any scope made after 2004, be it side focus or adjustable objective. (assuming you have the right size, ((40mm, 50mm, etc))). Post 2004 accessories MAY fit SOME scopes made Pre 2004, but not universally. My older VariX-III's have the same I.D. as my 2004 Mark 4, but the O.D. of the adjustable objective scopes is larger, so I'm not sure how the shade will look hanging off the end of the Mark4, I'm assuming that it's going to be a larger dia. Guess I'll have get one and find out.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.