Leupold MK4 8-25x TMR

Someone with a FFP scope with 25X magnification could put this question to rest but I doubt you can fit a 10mil hash mark at 25X. I have a SFP VariXIII LR 4.5-14x50 with mildots. It has 5 mildots and a post in the reticle and I think you could get 10 mils in the reticle. But as you increase the magnification you increase the size of the reticle. That's why I doubt you could fit a 10 mil hash mark at 25X.

So maybe that is the issue, the higher powered models such as the 6-20x and the 8-25x in 2nd FP scopes just dont have the room for the 10 MIL hash Mark's, as the 4-14x do. But that's something I feel and think they should let the consumer know, because most guys who get the higher powered scopes are obviously using them for targets at long range. That is my main issue with them right now. Not the scopes fault, its Leupolds fault.

I think you still have options to use this scope. You'd need a 35 moa base and if it sets up right you shouldn't have any issues at a mile. 2000 yards it might be out of the useable reticle, but then you could just over the target a mil or two. But at 2975 fps w/ the 180gr ELDM I think you could get some more velocity out of your 7mm-300wm. So if you find a higher node then you'd be fine even at 2000 yards.

I'll probably just end up keeping it. I love the scope other than the reticle issue, which in all honesty isnt that huge of a deal since that type of range would just be for fun anyway. I agree on the velocity with the 180s from my 7-300 win mag, especially since I have a 28" barrel. But I have never pushed it hard since day 1. Strictly middle of the road for accuracy and brass life. On my 5th firing of Nosler brass now and the primer pockets are still tight as day 1. They were all shot with the 162g AMAX at 3100-3150fps. I also believe the velocity issue is because my throat and OAL length is hindering it. I asked for the chamber/throat to be set out at 3.650" as long as the rem 700 mag box allows, but when I received the rifle, the OAL to the lands was only at 3.450" so my gunsmith didn't do it right...But it shoots 1/3 MOA easy so I've just dealt with it.

Heres a quick ladder test with the 180s and H1000/RL26 at 300 yards, and then the groups at 300 yards with each powder that I figured would be the accuracy node. I got up to max pressure with the RL26, but never did with H1000. I've always used H1000 since day 1 in this rifle with the 162 AMAX. Never did try or see the need to change either powder or bullet until this spring I finally tried the 180g ELDMs. The BC just finally got to me haha. So I'm pretty settled on the 72.5g of H1000. Which gave a .7" 3 shot group at 300 yards. Will be loading a few more up to shoot at 1K and see how they do. Then I have my first informal 1000 LR shoot in 3 weeks :)

20200707_103539.jpg

And the rifle. A5 Mcmillan heavy filled stock, 28" heavy Bartlein 9 twist. Rifle weighs right at 16# Built it 6 years ago before all these new slippery 7mm bullets came out, why the 9 twist and hesitant to try any of the 180s. Why I just stuck with the 162s for so long. But it appears to shoot the 180s just fine :)
20200408_124247.jpg

Someone with a FFP scope with 25X magnification could put this question to rest but I doubt you can fit a 10mil hash mark at 25X. I have a SFP VariXIII LR 4.5-14x50 with mildots. It has 5 mildots and a post in the reticle and I think you could get 10 mils in the reticle. But as you increase the magnification you increase the size of the reticle. That's why I doubt you could fit a 10 mil hash mark at 25X.
This above.!

So this is what I got from a super nice guy at Leupold who took the time to call me from his house yesterday evening and talk for 45 minutes, and then dig into the subject today when he got to work. Pretty much confirms what I was thinking, just would never see the 10 MIL hash in the reticle. Still kinda sucks for me, but at least I was able to get a definitive answer this time and not be talked to like I was a newbie.
Screenshot_20200707-160017_Gmail.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.