Leupold MK4 4.5-14x40 LR/T M1 TMR reticle vs IOR 4-14-50 illum MP8 ret

Alan Griffith

I am on the verge of a new scope purchase and am hoping for your opinions, suggestions and advice.

I'm shooting a Rem 700 LA in 30-06 Ackley Imp, 26" stainless Lilja barrel, turned down to quite a thin weight. The rifle was built for me back in '82 in '06, so other than the new barrel/caliber/scope, it's pretty much what I wanted and still like for a LR big game hunting rifle which will see use for informal LR steel. I've kept the theme light (6lb 7 oz in original form w/ a Leupold M8 4x. Currently 7lb 4 oz w/ Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 w/ mildot; 17.6 oz) and wish to keep it under 8 lbs if possible.

My Ackley load takes a 180 Nosler BT to 3050 fps and 3/4 MOA all day long if I do my part, thus far out to 800 yds. And cracking rocks to 900. My LV steel arrived yesterday, too late for the last Saturday's shoot.

The Buckmaster has performed quite well, but I wish for a little something more "tactical". I've read quite alot and have narrowed it down to two scopes.

Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x40 LR/T target w/ duplex reticle (product # 56140) which I will then send back to Leupold's custom shop to have the TMR reticle inserted along w/ M1 dials; 16 oz.

or

IOR Valdada 4-14x50 Tacticle w/ illum MP8 reticle; 25 oz. IOR does not have any non-illum models in stock at the moment.

Leupold is well known, kind of a standard to me, bar none (to me) the best customer service in the industry. I won't feel offened if you differ on any matter I bring up for discussion.

I've read a lot good and some bad about the IOR (mostly customer service problems and one post where someone said the tube diameter was 31mm, not 30mm and his rings pinched the tube enough to mark it up. IOR in Colorado would not rectify the problem because the scope still worked correclty.

I'm an FFL so by the time I have a total cash outlay for both, I would spend $11 more for the Mk4. IOR also has 30mm alum rings at my FFL dealer price. How is the quality of their rings. I like TSP rings. Also use a 20 MOA Ken Farrell pic base.

Thanks for any replys. An acqaintance is bringing by his IOR 4-14x50 today for me to look at.

Keep on Patterning

Big Al

If it were me I would make my choice between the Nightforce NXS and the IOR.............
If you think Leupy has good customer service then you would absolutel love Nightforce. I sent an NXS 3.5X15X50 in for sevice and they recieved the scope on the twelevth and repaired it and had it to Fedex on the thirtenth,Leupold will never make a turn around that quickly.........

Not dissagreeing with you but, you are the first that I have ever heard of ever getting one back in that short of a time frame...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Just call and let them know it is coming, and that you need it rushed, and they will walk it through and ship it right back. They have always given me excellent service on repairs....but you cant rush the custom shop.

BTW thanks for the info on NF customer service, it was good to hear it. I have accumulated a few NFs lately and was wondering. No problems with them thus far, although the NF BR scope I got with a gun purchase has something rattling around inside of the tube. Do you know whether they will warranty this rattle if I am the secondhand owner? I have heard rumors that I was out of luck. It is not a problem as the scope works perfectly except that I am worried about getting wedged into something and locking it up.

GSSP, go with the Leupold 4.5x14x50 LRT. I had one before, and I loved it. I am a Nightforce guy, but I like Leupolds too. One more thing, before you buy a Leupold or IOR, look for a used Nightforce 3.5x15x50mm NXS, I bet you could find one for a good price. I believe a new 4.5x14x50mm LRT will run about $850 or more, correct me if I am wrong.

Wildcat

This is NOT!!!! going to be an easy decision.

I've now thrown into the mix,

both Zeiss Conquest's with target turrets; 4.5-14x50 and 6.5-20x50

and do I wait until the new Nikon Monarch X (formerly Tactical) 4.5-14x50 w/ mildot comes out in June?

Re: Leupold MK4 4.5-14x40 LR/T M1 TMR reticle vs IOR 4-14-50 illum MP8

GSSP,

The fun is in the 'dreamin'. Your $ can be anything you wish, until you spend it. Then it is whatcha bought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You don't have any bad choices in that list. Give us a report on whatcha end up with.

I'm thinkin my next 'big money' scope will be a fixed 16X IOR. Otherwise my eyes and wallet match up with the SS pretty well.

Re: Leupold MK4 4.5-14x40 LR/T M1 TMR reticle vs IOR 4-14-50 illum MP8

I just borrowed an IOR 4-16x50 Tactical from a young guy who I'm working to enlist into the Army as a helo pilot. He's very gracious and is letting me use his medium TPS rings as well. This morning I mounted it on my rifle. It's BIG to say the least. In comparing it to my Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 w/ mildot, it's a beast but OH MY is the glass great. And that MP8 reticle!!!! MAN!!...what a reticle.

Here are the problems I see. With the front ring mounted in my front Ken Farrel 1-pc picatinny slot and the turret housing within 1/8", I'm getting 3/4" less eye relief than the Nikon. This thing, pushing a 30 cal 180 bullet at 3050 fps in a 7 lb 12 oz (w/ IOR scope and alum rings), has the potential to boink me, good, between the eyes. I like to get 12.5" from floor to occ lens when set on the butt pad. I'm only getting 11.75".

The other thing is the ring height. The medium rings give me about .14" from the power adjust ring to the top of the base. A low ring set would lower that .015"; not enough room. The power ring, nice as it is, is BIG.

Alas, unless I went with some other base to move the entire ring/scope combo forward, won't work.

Any ideas?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.