Leupold Mark/VX 3HD any good?

wilkup

Looking for a new lighter weight scope for a 270 and having owned a few variations of the 4.5-14 in past models, I'm curious how this new one stacks up.
I've always liked the light gathering ability for hunting and think this mag range works well for the hunting/shooting I do.
The one thing that's always bothered me is the fussy eye box they have compared to other options.
I'd love to get some real information from anyone that's got hands on experience, not some gun mag article that spews biased paragraphs.
I may pick one up, even if the eye box issue hasn't changed, but it's be great if they figured that out and got them to track well too.

what you said , and " without " side focus would be ideal for me .
If I didn't want the side focus option, I'd probably be seriously considering the Trijicon Huron or Ascent in the 3-12x40 flavor at 17.8oz. I would've purchased the Ascent already if it came with a side focus.

I have all VX6 HDs on my rifles currently. Can't speak on the lower end VXs, but the 6 is a solid choice if you can afford it for hunting applications. The dials on the scope seem to function rather well too for the most part. They come in 3-18s and 4-24s and I think a 2-12 model as well. The clarity of the scopes are excellent as well, and the weight on the scopes themselves are good for hunting.

I have all VX6 HDs on my rifles currently. Can't speak on the lower end VXs, but the 6 is a solid choice if you can afford it for hunting applications. The dials on the scope seem to function rather well too for the most part. They come in 3-18s and 4-24s and I think a 2-12 model as well. The clarity of the scopes are excellent as well, and the weight on the scopes themselves are good for hunting.
Thanks for the feedback. Sadly, sadly this rifle won't be seeing one the higher end Leupolds - VX5/6HDs, I'm sure they've got excellent glass though. The 2-12 and 3-15 would both be great options for my needs, if budget allowed.

Myself and a couple of my shooting buddies have the VX3i 4.5-14x40 side focus 30mm tube with the windplex reticle and love them. We mostly have them on smokeless muzzleloaders. We dial all the time and have found the adjustments to be very accurate. They have all retained zero very well. No problems with the eyebox for anyone. Both of my sons shoot mine with no problems. Very happy with the overall performance. The glass is much better than the old Vari-X3 models. The newest models with zero lock would be even better.

Myself and a couple of my shooting buddies have the VX3i 4.5-14x40 side focus 30mm tube with the windplex reticle and love them. We mostly have them on smokeless muzzleloaders. We dial all the time and have found the adjustments to be very accurate. They have all retained zero very well. No problems with the eyebox for anyone. Both of my sons shoot mine with no problems. Very happy with the overall performance. The glass is much better than the old Vari-X3 models. The newest models with zero lock would be even better.

The eye relief on a Leupold is one of the best on the market. Not surprised you mentioned that in your message.

Annoying problem with my old Leupold VX3i was that eye relief changed a lot with different magnifications. I replaced it with a Tract Toric with constant eye relief - the Tract outclassed the Leupold in every way

post edit - but to give credit where credit is due.. My old Leupold never lost zero. The Tract just works better and is easier to look thru

Last edited: