Leupold Mark 4s. Original fixed power vs newer variable power durability

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
Looking for opinions or experiences with the original fixed power mark4s versus the newer variable powers. Mainly durability.

Many here know that for sheep and goat hunting I am a huge fixed power mark4 fan. This is because they alot lighter than my nightforces and bomb proof.

I am looking to get a 4.5-14x mark4 but I am concerned that due to the fact that they are alot lighter than their original counterpart and much cheaper that they possibly are not as bomb proof.

So, what do you all think?

Thanks,

M

Our M3A's are the original MK4 and they are pretty durable, however they can fail just like any other optic. They used to be the standard to which all other tactical riflescopes were compaired to, but now they just seem generic. I would not be any more concerned about using a variable power MK4 instead of the fixed power originals. We use the 3.5-10 on our M110's and the 4.5-14 on the M107's with no problems...well, no more then the fixed version.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.