Leupold Mark 4

bookworm

I'm shopping for a new scope to put on a hunting rifle that I'm working on getting more accurate. It will be my first real long range scope purchase.

Some of the things important to me:
- Optic clarity should be very good (but not necessarily the best)
- Vertical adjustment (probably 30mm tube)
- Good customer service
- Good turrets (easily adjustable, perferably covered, good markings)
- Mil-dot reticule
- Middle range magnification

So far one scope stands out to me and that is the Mark 4 4.5-14x40 LR/T Target. For $675 it seems to meet all my criteria pretty well. The only downside I can see (on paper anyway) is the target turrets seem to stick up pretty high. The good is that they also appear to be covered, so if they do get rubbed against a scabbard or something they will not move.

One thing I can't figure out with the Mark 4's is the price difference between the models. A model very similar to the one sited above is 50% more expensive and I can't seem to figure out why.

Does anyone have any insight on this particular model of the Mark 4? What am I missing regarding the price relaive to the other Mark 4's?

What other scopes should I be considering in this price range given my criteria above?

Thanks everyone.

Bookworm;

I have looked high and low for a similar scope as my criteria are very close to yours. (Reasonalbe size and weight along with long range capability with good optics.) Bottom line is I think you have already found the best scope for that price range. As far as the turrets are concerned, you can order that scope from Leupold's custom shop with the M1 turrets which are somewhat lower profile than the target turrets and they can in fact set it up for your specific ballistics if you desire. Another option when ordering through the custom shop is you can select a differenct reticle. The whole package would probably bump you up into the $1000 range. Less if you simply want the M1 turrets upgrade.
I have looked at the Nikon version and although an avid Nikon fan (best bang for the buck theory) find the Leupold Mk 4 to be a better scope as far as optics (personal view of course). Now having said all that, I have to admit I don't own the Mk 4 scope but rather went the next step up and spent a whole lot more money. I still think though that the Leupold Mk 4 would have satisifed my requirements for a lot less money. Good luck

I really like my Mark 4's.
Are you considering the TMR reticle?
If so, it is a very good one.
Also consider the S-3 Sightron. I am not sure if you can get the mildot reticle in that power range

Also consider the S-3 Sightron. I am not sure if you can get the mildot reticle in that power range

I agree. I think the SIII's are a better value then the Leupolds. BTW you can get a mil dot in the sightrons.

I own both the original scope mentioned by bookworm and a SIII, I just like the SIII better. But both are quality pieces of kit.

Thanks for the replies - good insights.

Funny that you should mention Sightron, as this is the other scope brand I'm looking at. I have two price points in mind and I have two scopes at each price that I'm considering.

~$600 range: Bushnell 4200 6-24x50 vs. Sightron SII Big Sky 4.5-14x44

~$800 range: Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40 LRT vs. Sightron SIII 6-24x50

I know these compares are a little apples and oranges, but it seems to be difficult to find a lot of choices with the criteria I have.

I'm currently leaning toward the Sightron Big Sky, but I keep getting pulled toward this higher priced stuff - it's a sickness.

Ernie - I hadn't considered the TMR until you mentioned it. What are the primary advantages over standard mil-dot?

Havingfun - what did you end up getting for your scope?

Thanks again.

Another to consider is the Vortex Viper 6.5-20X, if 6.5 is low enough for you on the low end. I have the 50mm version and it fills all your requirements (including very nice covered turrets) except for the reticle. The 44mm version is available with the BDC reticle which has mildots on the windage so it would fit if you were planning to dial elevation anyway.

Just another to consider.

I purchased a Kahles K418 4.5x18x50 with target turrets. I have an affinity for the Kahles optics but may actually end up with a NightForce before it's all over with (see thread Kahles - Oops.)

In the end however, I truely believe the Mk 4 would have accomplished everything I needed for less money, less weight, and smaller dimensions.
I'm not necessarily a diehard Leupold fan normally, but in this case, I would have been very satisfied.

From what I've seen from the responses you received, you can't make a bad decision. Just go with your gut on this one. Good luck.

Ernie - I hadn't considered the TMR until you mentioned it. What are the primary advantages over standard mil-dot?
Thanks again.

I like the TMR because it has horizontal lines instead of dots. It allows you to be more critical in aiming and I love how they did the crosshair juncture.

I like the TMR because it has horizontal lines instead of dots. It allows you to be more critical in aiming and I love how they did the crosshair juncture.

I agree.

We stock the Leupold:
Custom Shop Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm LR/T M1 MIL-DOT 949.98 and the Custom Shop Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm LR/T M1 TMR Price: $1,059.97 but at this time we are sold out but have more on order they will be in stock soon.

3499.jpg

Mike @ CSGW

You mentioned the 4200 6-24x50 Tactical, I have two and love them. I will caution you that there's only 44 MOA total adjustment on mine (bushnell claims 50 MOA total). I use them with 20 MOA bases to make sure I can reach out.

My most recent purchase was the Leupold Mk 4, 4.5x14x50 M1/TMR. This is mostly for the 100 MOA total adjustment (for a 338 Lapua mag). I also love the TMR reticle (once you look at the TMR you almost have to have one for yourself). It allows precise POA at long range even though it's only 14x.

Thanks everyone for the informative replies - much appreciated.

Now I just need to decide how much I can spend...always a tough decision.

If you aren't going to spring for the Mark 4 then the Sightron SIII is the way to go in my opinion. Better glass and twice the adjustment of the Bushnell. They can be had for less than $700 also.

Hey KRP - I agree with your adjustment comment compared to Bushnell.

if I don't go with the Mark 4, which Sightron SIII model did you have in mind for under $700?

6-24x50 LR with mildots, call Bruno's and see what they will sell one for. Last I saw they could be had for less than $700.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.