Leupold Mark 4 vs VX-3

Southernfryedyankee

This scope is going to be for my long ranger. I would like a Leupold custom shop scope. Is the Mark 4 worth the extra $300-400 over just building almost the same scope I want in a VX-3? people have mentioned the Mark 4 may have a little more edge clarity over the VX-3 but I really don't see it being that imperative for my application. The rifle will not be used for hunting so the higher power scope will be fine. I am actually considering the 8.5-25x50 asI do not have a spotting scope and I can basically be my own spotter. I like the amount of W&E adjustment in each and both scopes should get me to 1000 yds when practice makes perfect has revealed itself. Any info on either of these scopes would be fantastic.

This scope is going to be for my long ranger. I would like a Leupold custom shop scope. Is the Mark 4 worth the extra $300-400 over just building almost the same scope I want in a VX-3? people have mentioned the Mark 4 may have a little more edge clarity over the VX-3 but I really don't see it being that imperative for my application. The rifle will not be used for hunting so the higher power scope will be fine. I am actually considering the 8.5-25x50 asI do not have a spotting scope and I can basically be my own spotter. I like the amount of W&E adjustment in each and both scopes should get me to 1000 yds when practice makes perfect has revealed itself. Any info on either of these scopes would be fantastic.

I have and like both the Vx3 and the MK4.

For most hunting conditions except for extreme long range hunting I prefer the VX3 30mm tube
side focus and standard turrets.

But for long range hunting and target shooting the MK4 is my choice because of the target
turrets .

If you go with a custom shop scope you can have the target turrets installed on the VX3.

As far as the glass, I think the VX7 and the MK4 have the same quality at about the same
price and the VX3 may not be quite as good as these two scopes.

For all around hunting I like the 4.5x14x50, for extended ranges the 6.5x 20x 50 is my
preference for target the 8.5x25x50 will work good. (The 8.5x is a little much for close in
shooting).

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

The 4.5-14, and 6.5-20 Leupold scopes have more generous windage and elevation movement than the 8.5-25x. The M1 turrets are very nice, but the target turrets are similar or equal quality. Not sure if the Target turrets are waterproof or not, but the M1 turrets are.

I would choose the 6.5-20x over the more powerful 8.5-25 because of the reticle adjustment range. If you go VX3, be sure to check specs on the models you consider before you buy. You can have target turrets or M1 turrets and different reticles installed after the fact, which is great, but if you buy what you want from day one, you save money.

Saw a discussion on benchrest central while doing a search. Guys there thought the Bushnell 4200 6-24x was an exceptional value, and the Sightron SIII were also superb for repeat turret movements.

Am evaluating my options for a longrange magnum rifle right now. I prefer Leupold for many reasons, lightweight being a big plus for me in a field carry rifle. The M1 turret scopes produced in 08 and 09 can be retrofitted with the M2 turret which gives 1/2 moa adjustment. I like the M3 1moa per click mk4 scopes, but a 6.5-20x with M2 bullet drop elevation turret and maybe illuminated TMR reticle would really be all I could want.

Good luck with your selection.

I keep building scopes on their custom shop to see what kind of pricing I get. I have decided against the 8.5 and will probably go for the 6.5-20x40/50. I really like the amount of W&E I get with the Leupolds. If Nikons had that kind of adjustabilty I would go Nikon as I have had good luck with them in the past.

With 90 moa of adjustment in the 6.5-20 50mms and weighing under 1.5lbs, they are great scopes! I had an 8x32x NXS on this .300win TRG42, but did not like the weight. I am not convinced that an extra 1lb + is worth the "better glass". My shooting is not done from bench or bipod so weight is more critical to me than almost anything else. Also, have to like Leupold & Stevens for all the facilities they offer.

The Mark 4's and the VX-III's have the exact same glass (per Leupold technical rep). The only difference is the Mark 4 has a double spring erector and a slightly 'beefier' main tube (also per Leupold tech. rep.). I went through the same debate, called Leupold, figured out they were the same glass and decided to get the VX-III with M1 knobs.

The Mark 4's and the VX-III's have the exact same glass (per Leupold technical rep). The only difference is the Mark 4 has a double spring erector and a slightly 'beefier' main tube (also per Leupold tech. rep.). I went through the same debate, called Leupold, figured out they were the same glass and decided to get the VX-III with M1 knobs.

I second this. I called the rep as well when I was doing the research a while back.

Here is the link to my old post.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/vx-iii-verse-mark-4-a-35679/

SES50

I was in the same situation as the OP and went with the Mark 4 as found one cheaper than a VX-3. If you don't want mil dot reticle then you can usually find much better deals on a VX-3, or even better a VX-III, and send it off to the customshop for M! knobs.

.So if the Mark 4 is a repackaged VX-III ( not Vx-3)...is the Mark 2 a repackaged VX-II? I would love to get a Mark 2 on my rifles, but it seems like there are alotof much better scopes out there in the same price range.

I think there are better glass out there than the leupold the only problem I found was that all those other scopes were about twice the weight. I think the leupold is a decent scope for the weight and price range and the customability. If they would just come out with an MOA reticle and first focal plane they would have it made.

SES50

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a question ? My vx-3 is a 6.5x20x50 side focus 30mm I have the tall target turrets they told me at leupold that they were water proof so how would it benefit me to order the M-1 turrets? instead of the ones that came with it...

I actually like the target turrets because they have the cover and do not get changed when I am sliding the rifle in an out of the gun scabbard on my quad or in my backpack. I had an issue a year ago where the exposed knobs on another scope got spun when I pulled the rifle from the scabbard in a hurry to take a shot. I made the shot but luckly the deers head was low because I got him right behind the ear instead of instead of the high shoulder where I was aiming. I looked at my windage knob after the shot and it was spun just about the amount I was off.

So, I go with covered turrets when I can. I figure on a long shot where I am going to need to turn the turrets I have time to take the covers off.

SES50

Yes, Leupold target turrets are waterproof with the covers off.

The benefit of the M1 knobs is that there are no covers. No cap to lose or crush when you step on it.

Personally, I went with the M1 knobs.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a question ? My vx-3 is a 6.5x20x50 side focus 30mm I have the tall target turrets they told me at leupold that they were water proof so how would it benefit me to order the M-1 turrets? instead of the ones that came with it...

Im lost on the whole "VX III are practically the same as Mark 4" thing. Not to say it isnt true but I have both and there is a diffrence in glass and over all quality. Maybe I'm just making it up but I like the Mark 4 with M1 turrets alot better than my old VX III. Just my 2 cents.

Ohha and SE50, +1 for "they would just come out with an MOA reticle and first focal plane they would have it made."

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.