Leupold Mark 4 turret life.

robert rex

I'm curious if anyone has seen any degradation in the turret consistency after several thousand rounds? There is a lot going on in a high end scope, and cranking it in and out several times practicing week after week, there has to be a point where they begin to wear out.

Never had any issues with any of mine.
Hope they get things worked out for you.
Like mtmuley stated what do you mean by being knocked off?
The zero or the turret?

I'm worried the turret will not replicate exactly the same reticle adjustments per click as the scope did when it was new. In other words you click up .9 mil and it only goes up .7 or .825...it just becomes a bit more random with wear.

I'm worried the turret will not replicate exactly the same reticle adjustments per click as the scope did when it was new. In other words you click up .9 mil and it only goes up .7 or .825...it just becomes a bit more random with wear.
I've owned Mark 4s for decades and use them out to beyond 1000 turning turrets all day long shooting ground hogs. Always returned and tracked to zero. Still as new. Took one out west and shot 1500-1700 yards and used it on prairie dogs from 200-700 same scope for 8 days with zero issues. It has certainly been tested in it's years on a couple rifles. Never one issue.

I have used a few Mark 4's quite heavily when I first began shooting LR. With quite a bit of use on them I have had some issues with loosing clicks in sections of the turret adjustment range, as well as experiencing zero shifts, and tracking issues. Fortunately, their service is quite good and these problems were fixed. If they've seen a lot of use, I'd personally keep an eye on them and perform a periodic tall test/box test. IMO.

I have used a few Mark 4's quite heavily when I first began shooting LR. With quite a bit of use on them I have had some issues with loosing clicks in sections of the turret adjustment range, as well as experiencing zero shifts, and tracking issues. Fortunately, their service is quite good and these problems were fixed. If they've seen a lot of use, I'd personally keep an eye on them and perform a periodic tall test/box test. IMO.
I will keep that in mind. Again I've had zero issues. Yes, they do have a good record for excellent customer service. I had a VXII from the late 80s that the top screw turret about froze up. Almost impossible to adjust. Sent it back to Leupold after owning it for 27 years and they replaced it with a new VXIII scope of similar magnification. That's great service.

I actually dropped mine off a concrete table onto the elevation turret when the rifle was new and haven't had any issues. The idea that I might be having some inconsistencies came after about 1300 rounds thru a 300 win mag. The rifle still shot sub MOA but it was shooting less efficiently at distance and I had to keep adding mils. I checked the speed with a crono and it was leaving the barrel at the same speed. I re-barrelled and all is well. I shoot every week out to 1200 and just figured at some point wear would lead to inconsistency.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts