Leupold Mark 4 M3

tmmcampbell

Is 1 moa adjustment to much for long range hunting? I have been offered a deal on a Leupold Mark 4 M3. Concerned the adjustment is too course. I would like to reach out to 1200 yds.

In my opinion I would say yes it is too course. If you wanted to shoot at 1200 yrds, each click will move you 12 inches. With a 12-16 inch vitals target, that doesnt leave much room to be off on your clicks. you would have to adjust your hold to split the difference. The norm seems to be 1/4 moa clicks. now you would be 3 inches per click at 1200 yrs.

From what I have heard the M3 turrets are favored by the tactical guys because they are fast in urban situations.

anyways, just my 2 pennies. Hope it helps.

JP

Yes, I think they are too coarse. We use them because that's what the Army gives us to use (w/BDC elevation turret). Not any faster if you ask me. The BDC might not be on, so you need to keep up in your data book. If you keep good data you will know to "favor" high or low at distant ranges.

Example: On our unknown distance range a couple months back it was my partner's turn behind the rifle. At a mil-ranged distance right at 740m my partner wanted to try a head shot. I told him to put 7+4 on elevation and 1 1/2 minutes Right on windage and hold at the crown of his head (because I had written in his data book at that distance the round impacted about 1/2moa low for our given conditions). GOOD HIT! The guy on the glass thought it was a fluke, so we did it a couple more times, and then at various ranges. My partner's new nickname is Mr. Headshot.

Just know how to use what's in front of you.

Thanks for the advise. You talked me out of it. I think I will wait until I can afford the Nightforce. Give my thanks to old headshot too.:)

Depending on how good the deal is, it might be worth it to buy it and get the turrets converted to M2 or M1. I'm 99% sure Leupold can do that conversion.

I sent a email to Leupold about the conversion from M3 to M2. Their web page said it could be 2 weeks for a reply.

Is 1 moa adjustment to much for long range hunting? I have been offered a deal on a Leupold Mark 4 M3. Concerned the adjustment is too course. I would like to reach out to 1200 yds.

Hi all!
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.