Leupold Dual Dove Tail rings and bases for 338RUM

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by wasgas, Jan 12, 2010.

1. wasgas

wasgas Well-Known Member

This setup looks extremely strong and reliable, how will it work for a 338 Ultra setup?

Leupold Dual Dove Tail rings and bases for 338RUM

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

Skip on the leupold, go for the Burris DD with Signature DD rings.

That way you get the strength and stability of DD, taper of a picatinny, and the protection of the signature rings.

That's what I have on my 338RUM.

Couldn't be happier.

3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

If I use a two piece base ,this is the set up I prefer.

The rear windage bases will fail at the worst moment and if you bed and use a drop
    (No more ) of loctite on the screws you can forget about them.

The only thing that must be done is to align each ring very carefully because they will not
    move and may stress your scope If you don't have a lineup pin in 1'' or 30mm use a lapping
    bar.

I made a 30mm and a 1'' bar out of aluminum for this and it works very well.

Remember alignment is critical with the duel dove tail base and rings.

J E CUSTOM

4. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

That's the beauty of the Burris DD Signatures. Alignment is not critical, and they won't stress the tube.

5. GNERGY

GNERGY Guest

Are these the ones you are looking for. Had them on my 338 ultra mag but I am switching to a 30mm tube so these are for sale. Those are Burris signature rings with the inserts.
    $40.00 shipped to your door.
    Tarey

[​IMG]

6. ovastafford

ovastafford Well-Known Member

I use the leupold dual's and they are rock solid. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on your .338rum. They are also pretty light.

7. wasgas

wasgas Well-Known Member

8. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

I used the two piece Leupold DD bases with the Burris Signature DD rings. I just like the look of the Leupold bases better.

Rock solid and allows you to align the scope to the POI before you ever fire a bullet or adjust the scope.

9. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Something else to consider .

What scope do you have or intend to mount on your rifle ?

The reason I ask is that if you use a set of Burris rings they will not match the Finnish on
    a Leupold scope as well as the Leupold rings will and the same is true with the Burris
    scope and Leupold rings.

I like the Burris rings but I use mostly Leupold's and they have different finishes and do
    not look as good when they are mixed.

The silver rings really don't match other brands of scopes as well and looks are important on custom rifles so I try to use matching rings, bases and scopes.

J E CUSTOM

10. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

I thought about that too when I've done mine, but found the difference to be minimal. Just my thought on it. Maybe I'll post a pic.

You're right about the various silver colors, though. None of them match anything, even the same brand.

11. wasgas

wasgas Well-Known Member

I am thinking of the Mark 4 5.5-20 or the Zeiss Conquest 5-20 one is 30mm and the other is a 1" tube. I like the Leupold but common sense tells me the Zeiss is the better scope?

12. VSSF

VSSF Well-Known Member

Here's my brothers 375RUM with Burris Signatures and Leupold bases. And my 300RUM Sendero with Burris Signatures and Leupold bases with 6.5-20 VariX3. Both of em hold up great.
    The silver matches up great on my 300rum.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. wasgas

wasgas Well-Known Member

Why do the Burris take a shim in the rings? Wouldn't that make it weaker and less accurate or at least harder to install and sight in?

14. VSSF

VSSF Well-Known Member

It's an insert,you can put MOA (angle) into the rings. They prevent you from getting ring marks, and mine haven't moved got em in almost everything.
    My 338Edge.
    [​IMG]
    XP-100R's
    [​IMG]
    My Twins.
    [​IMG]
    454 Casull Raging Bull
    [​IMG]
    .243 Encore
    [​IMG]
    Needless to say,I like em.