Leupold Custom Dial System (CDS) Opinions

Couldn't one realistically go with two dials?
one for the flat lander type elevation and then one for the high altitudes say in the 7000-9000 foot range. Would this be possible as I'm not familiar with these dials.
You can buy as many as you want. It's just most people don't want to buy many since they are $80 a turret. In addition to elevation, temp and humidity are factors. You're looking at like 8 turrets to cover your basis. And that is only if you shoot the same bullet in all situations. Different bullets have different speeds and BCs, so you are buying another 8 turrets for each bullet you want to shoot (if you want to use the CDS with all bullets you shoot, of course). I really think the best solution is one for free and a second if you shoot enough at that temp/elevation enough to justify it. After that, just count clicks.

Last edited:
one for the flat lander type elevation and then one for the high altitudes say in the 7000-9000 foot range. Would this be possible as I'm not familiar with these dials.
That's what I'm gonna do. Summer and winter dials.

This works pretty good. When you get a dial cut you still keep the original dial. I have cut dials for the flatland that are cut for 2,200' and 35 degrees. They do work great around home and the Dakotas, Kansas and Nebraska. That is where 90% of my hunting is done and I am only a mid-range hunter. Pretty slick to 500 yards. If heading further west I can switch to the original dial and dial in minutes instead of marked yardage. The dial is free so don't let anyones passive aggressive crap stop you from playing with it.

This works pretty good. When you get a dial cut you still keep the original dial. I have cut dials for the flatland that are cut for 2,200' and 35 degrees. They do work great around home and the Dakotas, Kansas and Nebraska. That is where 90% of my hunting is done and I am only a mid-range hunter. Pretty slick to 500 yards. If heading further west I can switch to the original dial and dial in minutes instead of marked yardage. The dial is free so don't let anyones passive aggressive crap stop you from playing with it.
Excellent point.

That's what I'm gonna do. Summer and winter dials.
They have merit for sure if you don't use a LRF with ballistic computer. I generally settle on 1 primary bullet and 1 secondary for my needs and could easily run a CDS turret without much fuss. Another option for more turrets is to use ballistic turret tape, couple of companies make it.

My PRC only see's a difference of .5 moa from 15-50 degrees at 5000 ft and 1000 yards. The bigger difference comes in at elevation change to 8000 feet and then it goes to 1.1 moa. If I run a 7000 ft el it is .75 moa.

At 600 yards the difference for my rifle with a 20 degree change and 3000 ft el is only .3 moa. A cds is very manageable if you understand how your rifle is affected.

have them on a number of hunting rifles and have multiple dials for different elevations and bullet weights. Leupold engraves your data on t
I have them on a number of hunting with multiple dials for different elevations and bullet weights. I found them to be pretty dead on, but have only tested out to 600 yards. I was shooting my 300WM on steel yesterday in low 90s with dial built for 40 with no POI change. I have 5 or 6 Leupold scopes on rifles that I don't shoot long range and I was able to get free ones for use on my LR rifles.

Nope, won't let that stop me. I always find it funny when I or someone specifically asks for the advice or anecdotes of people who own or have used said device and then you get people who completely ignore that part and start arguing the merits of said device with no experience whatsoever. Where I come from that's called talking out your ***.

I chrono'd my 6.5 CM 143 ELD-X and submitted my variables. My dial isn't on the money at 600 yards +. I have to dial 1 click below what my ballistic app tells me. I went back to the MOA dial that comes with the scope.

600 yards the difference for my rifle with a 20 degree change and 3000 ft el is only .3 moa. A cds is very manageable if you understand how your rifle is affected.
I agree.

The br2 laser I have will ajust readings for the burned turrets instead of MOA if needed.

I have one burned turret on a creedmore that we use out to 600. After that distance I want a bigger gun and more accurate compute/shot method.

My original dial cap worked great out to 400 yards.
I shot a big mule deer at 437 and poi was not off by much as he dropped on the spot.
I have another dial from leupold just for 180 gr Nosler Accubonds for higher elevation and I change dials depending where I hunt.
I have shot targets out to 800 yards and hit within 1.5 inches of center so they do work.