Leupold Boone and Crocket Reticle - Whassup with that?

3darcher2

My buddy recently picked up a Remington LSS in 270 with a matching 4.5-14x40 VX-III in silver. He's not anything close to a long range guy and I doubt he's ever shot of 200 yards at anything. He's actually a Marlin XLR guy and bought the LSS because he got a decent price and likes the look.

Anyway, the silver Leupolds can command a little bit of a premium on the secondary market since they quit making them and he'll probably try to downsize to a 3-9 or maybe 3.5-10, but he asked about the B&C reticle. I know it's popular with some guys. Can someone give me the quick skinny on it's purpose and how it works in real life? Basically, gimmick or useful?

I used this reticle when I was just beginning to shoot long range on deer. I verified the subtensions to 300 & 400 yds after zeroing @ 200 yds. While not long range by most guys, I did get a nice buck at about 370 yds. It worked perfectly in that situation.

Yes its a preset christmas try reticle.I would never go back down from it to a 3-9.My son prefers it for quick shooting.Hes not overly picky,young wants some success.He also knows how to dial it off the last small hash as a reference.Same principle he used in his agoc sight in Marines.

I like them. If he decides to sell it let me know. I think they are very effective when you take the time and shoot enough to learn exactly where your rifle hits with all the marks. Maybe not as good as dialing but much faster and most of my longer range shooting is in seconds not minutes. For true long range I want plenty of time,but out to 6-700 yards that set up is very effective for me.

I shot a really nice 6x6 elk this past season with a 2.5-8 with B&C reticle @510 yards. This is pushing it for this reticle. My previous limit was 450. Bull was DRT with a 140 Game King.

My son sets his at 200 zero,then figures where it hits at each mark.Then for long shots uses last small hash and dials off that as a referance.He shot bull last season mid 700.

3darcher2 , I just noticed your screen name . have you used the 3 or 4 pin archery sight ? that is about the same thing . the only difference is the archery sight each pin is adjustable for your longer distances . the scope works by setting your main crosshair at your zero , then shooting the rifle to find the distance where the other ones hit .

Google it for a review,you can tack it a step further and use the large or small delta for more options

Thanks guys, I did do some reading beforehand. It sounds like what I thought and it does seem like it has a little following. Overall it does look a bit busy to me compared to either a duplex or using a CDS, but I understand how it could be useful. Obviously there are some folks that like it!

Thanks guys, I did do some reading beforehand. It sounds like what I thought and it does seem like it has a little following. Overall it does look a bit busy to me compared to either a duplex or using a CDS, but I understand how it could be useful. Obviously there are some folks that like it!

By today's standards, that is anything but busy. Look at an Horus H59 or TreMor 3 reticle and get back to me. This is the beauty of the B&C reticle.

As far as using it for really long range, I have found that the environmental factors become to dependant to really use it much past 450-500. It might work for a guy that only shoots one load at one elevation and in one weather. That isn't the case for me. Since it is a 2nd focal plane scope, you can cheat it a little to match up better with your load by dialing until it is where you want and making a mark to turn too.in this instance it has worked out well enough with my 260 AI at max power that I leave it alone. I have a 4.5-14 LR that has it as well. It is nice when you don't have time to dial and you need a 300 or 400 yard aiming point. I used it alot on coyote stands when we had a shotgun and a rifle for the ones that hang up way out there. Since I went to a Mod 600 in .223 for stands, I dialed the magnification way back.

I take a 12 ga and a rifle to every stand unless we have multiple shooters.

It is possible to taylor the reticle harsh marks to the specific load being shot.
Just zero at 200. Then with the scope zoomed down about two power levels, shoot at 300 yards using the reticle hold over. If the shot is a little high, turn the magnification up in 1/4 powder increments until is the 300 yard hash is right on target. If the shot is a bit low zoom down in 1/4 turn increments. Mark the powder level with a sharpie or piece of tape. Now when you have to shoot longer ranges, just return the power to the exact power you used to align at 300 yards. The 400, 500, etc. marks will now be almost perfect.
I use a Zeiss Rapid-Z reticle on my lightweight carry rifle and have it sighted in this way. Everything is perfect out to 500 yards. Which is the range limit for the load anyways.
Good Luck.

Years ago, I used a 4.5x14x40 VX3 on my 270WSM quite successfully, my longest shot using the B&C on one if my best mule deer at 440 yards. I used the same calibration method as described by Barrelnut. It works! That scope currently rides in my 22-250 coyote rifle.

I have the same scope on one of my rifles that I don't shoot much. I don't really care for the reticle for paper but it's fine for hunting.

The method Barrelnut describes works great, I use it on my Leupold 6.5-20 with a varmint hunter reticle. The rifle is sighted in at 200 and I use the magnification to adjust the poi on the other substensions for holds out to 500 yards on my Savage heavy barrel 22-250.

My loaner rifle has the Same set up on 270 win . With my load Zeroed at 220 second hash mark is 340 and third is 440 on the big delta roughly. Easy to remember since I'm a Dodge guy and quick to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.