Leupold Bases Drifting?

Captn C

I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the H
I took the new 700 7mmRUM to the range for the first time yesterday. It already had a one piece Leupold style bases on it so I bought some matchings rings for it. I centered the scope for windage (it came off another rifle) then used the rear base to adjust windage during the bore sitting.

After about 10 rounds I am still at the same point on impact...so I move the scope again! I have the gun on a bipod and sand bagged well...set the scope back on bull and move the cross hairs to the bullet hole. It would be about half way to where I wanted it on the next shot and back to the original spot after another shot!!!

Somewhere around the 15th to 18th shot I run out of scope adjustment! Thats when I noticed the rear ring was not longer centered on the rear of the mount. I forgot my screw driver and bent a penny trying to get the windage screws loose. I tend to overtighten...any way I recenter the mount and my windage is WAY off...recenter the scope and start over. It stayed this time, but I am very worried about the mount doing that again.

I don't normally buy this kind of mount...does this happen often?

BTW-it shot less than 3/4" groups after that with Remington factory ammo.

OMT-Limbsaver recoil pad was money well spent too!

Could it be the scope that's causing the problem?

No, after I took the ring loose at the base and got the scope centered on the baseagain, then centered the scopes windage. It was dead on when I bore sighted it...it was only 6" left of the bull. I did the same thing as I did before...bipod and sand bagged the gun...cross hairs on bull...adjust cross hairs to bullet hole...next five were in a small 3/4" group.

What I thought was strange...the scope (ring on base really) was left, but the right base screw was very tight. Like I stated earlier...I bent a penny trying to loosen it.

I don't know..it acted very odd and plan to junk the bases after the season unless it does it again.

OMT-the scope shot some one hole groups two months ago in my 7mm RM and it went from the range to the safe. So I fell pretty good about the scope.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.