leupold 5 hd 3-15x44

b-dog

anyone use this scope. I have several vx3 x 50MM and like them. not sure how I would like it going from 50MM to 44MM ?

I prefer the smaller objective diameter. High quality glass let's enough light in that the potential small amount of extra light the larger objective let's in isnt really missed. On cheaper glass the difference is more noticeable, IMO. I've never used the 5HD, but own a vx-3i and am very happy with it.

I have a VX5HD 3-15x56 and my father has the 3-15x44 both firedot and we love them! have always used VX3s 4.5-15x50 and 3.5x10x50 but we will slowly transition all our stuff over to the VX5HDs love them and the firedot for hunting

anyone use this scope. I have several vx3 x 50MM and like them. not sure how I would like it going from 50MM to 44MM ?
I also have one. I don't think there is any additional light gathering in a 50 vs 44. I think I read where the 42-44mm objective is about the maximum diameter objective for light effectiveness. I think that was based on a 30mm tube. I'm sure going to a bigger tube, that objective would also change. My 3-15x44 is as bright as any of my 50/60mm obj on 30mm tubes.

I perfer to mount my optics as low as possible. I have more vx5 and Vx6 thank anything in my safe and all of them have a 44 or 42mm objective. They do excellent in low light especially if you roll with a fire dot. The more lr oriented rigs have a t moa and while it's a "better" reticle for long range use it is definitely inferior in low light. The brightness of the entire reticle takes away from the target. A fire dot on its lowest setting still allows you to see the target as well as the dot even in conditions that REALLY DARK.

last year I shot a nice6.5 year old 8 point about 30 minutes before day light. Climbed my stand and the only reason I could tell which deer he was is he walked directly below the stand I climbed and I could see how wide he was. He was chasing a doe below me and when I shot I could not tell if he was facing to or away from me. When my rifle went off it was like a Roman candle went off on 4th of July. The only reason I was able to make this shot was the fire dot. Any other reticle I would not have been able to see my crosshairs and the deer.

I have both the 56mm and 44mm objective models. The 56 is on a heavy 7 RM that I use primarily on big fields from box blinds. I like it, but the 44 is probably fits better for an all around scope. Actually, its just right. Light and both are excellent in low light. So far all three I've mounted track perfectly too.

I have the 3-15 x 44 firedot and it is bright enough I haven't had to turn on the firedot during legal shooting hours so far .

I've got one with the fire dot reticle and I believe it and the swaro z5 3.5 x 18 are the best Hunting scopes on the market. swaro has better glass but I'm not knocking the vx5hd at all To my eyes it's quite good! I've used the turrets out to 600yrds on my 300wsm never had an issue my only complaint is the rubber washers on the turrets I think they could have come up with a better set up than that mine tend to bunch up when tightening. If I had to do it over again I'd buy the same thing I hunt and live in BC so there's a good variety of terrain depending where and what I'm going after.... reason I didn't go with the swaro and here the prices were fairly similar couple hundred dollars difference?? Was the swaro using the bt turret ( turrets with the coloured marks for distance) is limited to 5-600 yards depending on rifles zero I liked the idea of my rifle being more capable than myself. good luck can't go wrong with the Leupold!

A local LR gunsmith uses this scope on most of his rifles. Pricey but using the CDS cap that's free for one load is best scope out there. He's used about all brands and says the glass and accuracy of the CDS system is second to none. You won't be sorry if you're wanting a good accurate LR scope. The VX3i CDS version is a good scope also and almost half the price. Glass is main difference.

I have used the VX3 3.5-10 for past 25 years and upgraded to the VX5 3-15x44 with firedot last year. Absolutely impressed is all I can say. It tracks perfect to 700 yards, trying to stretch to 1000 yards on a factory 700 but cant find a spot long enough close by.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.