leupold 4.5-14 elevation

fishonnw

At this point in my shooting have not killed or practiced past 500 yards, however would like to work towards greater distances. In the leupold 4.5-14 the elevation is 71 minutes of angle vs. 116 in the same scope with a 30mm tube.

I shoot a 30-378. At what distance am I maxed with the 25.4 tube vs. a 30mm tube. I understand many variables go into the answer, but a good round about answer will work.

My question comes from deciding to purchase the bigger tube or stick with what I am currently working with. Thanks for your responses.

Assuming that you're still basically "centered" with your reticle after you sight in at 300 yds, you would have about 30 moa to play with vertically. That means somewhere between 1100 and 1300 yds would be your max distance without using a tapered base or a 30mm tube...........Based on NF ballistic software and Weatherby ammo printed velocities. This is also at sea level, it would increase some at higher elevations...........if you're not "centered" after sighting in, the minutes available will be less.

You would be fine with either one. If it were me, I would sight the rifle in and determine how many useable MOA I had of upwards travel. Then determine how much (if any) more I needed to shoot out to the range I wanted. You may just need different rings or bases to adjust. I think you will be fine if you already have the 1" tube.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.