leupold 15x45x60 spotting scope

Jimm

i,m afraid i,ve put the cart before the horse here. i have a leupold 15x45x60 spotting scope on its way. anyone out there have hands on with scope?if so, how do it do? thanks ,jimm

Well jimm I had one for about 7 mo's and sold it. The problem was I could not see 22 cal. bullet holes at 200 yds with it.

Soooooo, I got ride of it and bought a Kowa 821 w/20-60 eye piece... much happier now!

Jimm

Seeeing bullet holes from a 224 caliber at 200 yards in the black is a hugely tough chore. Depending on what you want to do with the scope, I'd try it first.

I've seen days when the 821 Kowa fails miserably at the 200 yard line for 224 holes.

After that consider what you'll be using it for. Leica and Zeiss both make really good scopes that might be more suited for both hunting and shooting, than something like the 821 or the Optolyth which are both really good scopes. Just that I don't want to pack those around in the mountains.

FWIW
Jeff

That Kowa spotter is a real marvel!! While probably not as good as a Zeiss, Leica, or Swaro, they are VERY good.

You should be OK with the Loopie spotter as well..sakofan...

thanks for the encouragement sakofan. just received the spotter, initial observations are positive.nice armor,seems extremely bright,decent bench tripod,heck of a nice hardcase.as soon as i have a chance to get it in the field i will make a report in equip review. untill, jimm

You don't have the best of the Leupold scopes. Their top of the line spotting scope is the 12-40X60. That is why it costs 3-4 times as much as the model you bought. In glass, you pretty much get what you pay for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Jimm--FYI for the future--dont buy optics from cabelas unless it is in the bargain cave or otherwise discounted--they get FULL RETAIL for everything, better prices will be found almost anywhere else--SWFA, BearBasin, Brunoshooterssupply

YMMV,
JB

jb1000 br, gracias, i appreciate the info., and goodwill.the thing is cabelas has never let me down. no matter what, they give me good service.you know how it is when you put your bucks on the line.

Cabela's is not full retail, but not as discounted as some of the others referred to above. BUT they do have stock faster than most AND you can return for a full refund. Not everyone has this feature to their credit.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.