Leupold 1200i

davkrat

Took my new range finder out today and tried it in the areas I tend to hunt. For $399 I couldn't be happier. The glass does have a slight bluish cast but compared to comparable rangefinders I have had it is brighter and clearer. I had no problem ranging anything out to 800 yards. I was surprised that it did not return well off flat granite faces past 850 yards. Dark patches of trees/brush read out to 1050 yards if I held steady. Earlier in the week I was able to get readings beyond 1200 on white box cars. For my personal limit of 600 yard shots on game this should be perfect.

It's a nice compact unit with nice tacky rubber grip.

Shooting through limbs in the foreground the unit won't read beyond them very well. I assume this means it has a fairly wide beam. I don't think that will be an issue but maybe someone hunting from a treestand would. I shot this off my back deck at canopy level of the neighbors trees.

Earlier in the week in snow it failed to read much past 300 yards, nothing unusual there.

I wish I had a shot of it reading off an animal but California is absolutely devoid of deer.

A tip I stumbled across. The plastic disposable cap that small propane bottles come with work as a perfect spacer to digiscope through with an iphone.

Very nice write up...great pics make it A+! Looks like the 1200i is a solid performer.

I've ranged my 1000i out to 900yds on power line right-of-way rolling hills (when I could hold it real still), but I also have only 600yd max hunting lanes. Love the light weight, compactness, very sharp optics and quick and clear LED display.

When I got the 600 it was the best I could afford and I figured it would be all I ever needed as I don't intend to shoot game past 600. You quickly learn that the max yardage is only in PERFECT conditions and targets. The biggest problem though is that if an animal is beyond max range you have no clue how far you have to move up to be in reasonable range. I blew it on a buck about 6 years ago because of that. I blew past the ridge that would have given me a 400 yard shot and wound up spooking them. My excited haste had something to do with it too! Being able to range to 1000 somewhat reliably is a great improvement. I would love to drop several grand on combo bino/laser units but I have better ways to spend that kind of money right now.

For out to 600 yard shooting I think these are a great option.

the 1200i is hard to beat for a truly pocketable rangefinder. it has great clear optics and the illuminated display is one of the best. and it's hard to beat the price.

as the norm for most rangefinders, especially ones this small, the IR laser can easily get washed out by sunlight. your best bet in sunny conditions is to range off of objects in shadow such as the bases of trees or under rocks.

and as usual with rangefinders, the practical range is approx. 1/2 of the "rating". the 1200i reliably ranges out to 600 yards for me. in ideal conditions I have ranged out to 1000 yards.

the ballistic calculator is a nice touch, especially that it supports mils as well as moa (hello gunwerks? anyone listening??)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.