Leuplod vx-3 cds parallax

Kansas

I am looking at getting a Leupold vx-3 4.5x14x40 cds, but noticed it doesn't have a parallax adjustment. What kind of and how big of a problem will that be?

Thanks fo the help.

I am not sure why they don't have Parallax adjustment on the CDS models, but in my opinion it is very important for small targets or long range work. In fact, the same magnification "long range" model does have Parallax adjustment. I wouldn't buy a 14X scope without it.

Better choice perhaps would be to buy the long range model and then put the CDS knob on it later.??

Used to be, nobody made anything with more magnification than 9X without parallax adjustment. Now, some scope makers are including 12X or even 14X scopes without the adjustment.................makes me wonder why. Only thing I can think of, is that they are marketing more scopes for the 150 to 400 yd ranges in the higher powers. For most big game hunting, Parallax adjustment probably wouldn't be much benefit at those ranges and just adds weight to the scope. But once again, really small targets (prairie dogs, ect) and/or shots longer than 400 yds............Parallax should be removed from the list of variables that can cause a miss. There's enough things to contend with beyond 400 yds without the aiming point wondering around too IMO.

Sbruce is probably about right here. If you get the CDS and put one of the custom turrets on it, you will get 15MOA of correction. If you assume that most people will be shooting a .270, .308, 30-06, or so this will keep them inside of 600 yards most of the time, so parallax correction isn't going to add a huge amount of error. The scopes are set at 150 yards from the factory.

I too am considering purchasing this exact scope for a 270 WSM with shots out to 500 yards max at deer size targets.
I was planning on posting this same question regarding my concern of the scope's lack of an adjustable objective, but found this thread.
Does anyone have any idea how much accuracy may be lost without the AO?
I love this scope, but it seems the only other option is to purchase the AO model, then send it into leupold to add the CDS system.
Any more input would be appreciated.

Does anyone have any idea how much accuracy may be lost without the AO?

I've seen a shift in point of aim (parallax) of as much as 2" at 400 yds when setting the AO for no parallax at 150 yds. I've seen this on more than one scope and I've seen this under more than one condition.

Granted, I am talking about 2" of movement over the entire range of field of view........which wouldn't normally be encountered fully when hunting, because normally we don't shoot one shot with our eye at the "top of field" or "left of field" and another with our eye at the "bottom of field" or "right of field"....not sure if I am explaining this in a way that makes sense to everyone?? But anyway, that's the amount of error that I've witnessed (on the extreme ends) by not adjusting the parallax.

I can't give a number for anything further than 400 yds, because any scope I've used beyond that distance has always been adjusted for the parallax; However, we can safely assume that any error beyond that distance would surely increase.

i've shot a couple of scopes that didn't have a par adjustment on them, at long range. the way i compensate is to back out of the field of view until there is a small black ring on the outside edge. center the black ring in the scope and center the crosshair and parallax is eliminated. scopes with the parallax adjustment out on the front bell are notorious for being the weak link in the optical system. they are usually the problem with POI and repeatability. side parallax is much better mechanically.

I have one i just got two weeks ago and love it out to 500 yards. I am looking for something more bench rest long range. The cds is more for hunting long range and works grate. So with that said im willing to trade for something more bench rest with cash on top or willing to sell it for 500 shipped.

they work just fine for long range shooting I have 3 one is 4.5x14 40mm on a 300 saum and out to 1000yrds it is very impressive the other 2 are 3.5x10 50mm one is on a 300rum and the other is on a 270 wsm and both of them will shot very good groups out to 1200yrds any of these rifles will kill any animal out to 1000yrds and past I would not hesitate on buying one and as the 15 moa all you have to do is ask them to leave the zero stop ball out and you can use the full range off the scope

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts