Letting down the arrow Problem/WARNING

LIK2HNT

Is anyone else having problems letting down the arrow at the end of the hunt, or are you shooting it off into a target. I am thinking about putting my target in the truck and shooting it off with the problems I have had.

Twice now in the last 4 months I have had a hard time getting the arrow to start its unwind. The lever to unlock the crank and picking up the guide to get it out of the groove seems to stick and then when it goes the crank was jerked out of my hands. First time it did it about 4 months ago the crank spun around and smacked the back of my hand creating a welt the size of a golf ball. Thought I broke a bone, but just smashed the hell out of it. Last week it did it again. This time it smacked the side of my hand between my index finger and thumb. My hand swelled up to the size of a grapefruit. It bent the windage knob on my scope, and bent the cranking shaft. Maybe it was just because my hands were sweaty and the guide was sticking in the groove. But it is something everyone should be careful of. You can not let go of the cranking ratchet lever fast enough to prevent getting your hand smacked.

I am planning on sending it to PSE this week to get fixed.

Thank
Bill

Bill,

I'm not sure I understand what was sticking in which groove on your bow.

The cocking string winds around a wheel with ratchet type teeth. To let down the cocked string, you must crank the handle forward a bit to take the weight off the ratchet tooth. Hold the crank handle very firmly when you do this and then release the uncocking lever. Safety on of course.

If that doesn't help, try to explain in more detail what's happening and I'll see if I can help.

First Post,
Good day to everyone my name is Marc. I thought I would throw in something that happened to me while letting the the arrow down. Last year after a hunt I was letting the arrow back down,(IE unwinding the cocking mechanisim) and the release block popped (just like it has so many times while cranking the arrow into the loaded position). YES, just like you are thinking the arrow fired! I always point weapons in a safe direction, and I always will, but this scared the hec out of me! Does everyone just pull the arrow out before uncocking? I am afraid that sticking my fingers in the line of the string may rip them off if it releases. I have been firing it into a target when finished with my hunts now. I would like to thank everyone for all the information they have been posting about the TAC 15. This site is by far one of the best for info on this amazing crossbow.

I was letting the arrow back down,(IE unwinding the cocking mechanisim) and the release block popped (just like it has so many times while cranking the arrow into the loaded position). YES, just like you are thinking the arrow fired

msd4141,

It sounds like you are describing something that's happened to some others, where your cocking block jumps forward while you are cocking or uncocking.

One possibility - your cocking string needs to start winding in a certain direction, otherwise it all stacks up on one side and eventually drops off the stack causing the jump. The last page of PSE's instruction manual talks about the fix. Here's what it says:

Issue:

When cranking, a clunk is heard and the arrow may pop off the string.

Solution:

The draw cord is not spooling up properly. The draw cord is initiating its spooling in the wrong direction. Looking at it from the back it should spool to the left first. Remove the lower and unspool the release all the way. Start cranking it back and use your finger to start the spooling in the proper direction. NOTE: When pulling the release forward, only pull it far enough forward to attach it to the loop. This will prevent the first wrap around the spool from winding in the wrong direction.

If that doesn't end up being the problem, I've repaired a few that have had one of several small parts inside the guts of the cranking mechanism fail and need to be replaced. In that case, get your bow serviced.

Last edited:
I had the same problem as he described "letting down" or de-cocking the arrow this weekend. I had just put one arrow into an elk and before trailing loaded another arrow. After finding the elk and not needing a followup shot I was letting the arrow down. Got a loud pop, handle smacking the back of my hand, and the arrow basically dry firing into a bush. The square head on the receiver is bent and on closer inspection its bearing is trashed. The complete damage has yet to be assessed.

I have been shooting the Tac-15 since they first went for sale to the public, and this is the second season I've used it. I haven't had to de-cock with an arrow installed very often except during the hunt. It WILL get your attention, besides being very painful for at least a week! Not to mention the severe safety hazard of the arrow departing unexpectantly. I know the experience will always give me second thoughts when this must be performed in the future.

Dave

I finally got around to calling PSE yesterday. The lady I spoke with was named Jennie. She was very helpful in setting the issue straight about the problem with the arrow slide block jumping while cocking/uncocking the bow. The gears have been damaged in the cocking mechanism (Just like the gentelmen in an earlier reply had said) I do not have an extended crank on this bow, everything is still factory. I asked her if she could send me a new cocking mechanism as I could install it myself, and I was told PSE could only ship to a dealer. I explained that the local dealer that I purchased the bow from was not high on my list as they seemed uninformed and slow at dealing with issues like this, and with the Michigan bow season is about to open. Jennie then told me that she would replace the whole upper free of charge, and said the dealer could call and confirm this and let me have a new bow that they had in stock. So far so good. I had the dealer give me the new upper unassembled as I feel I can level and square the assembly better myself. I get home with the upper pieces and when I remove the string stops to make better room to square and level the 2 sections during assembly, I find one was cross threaded and very hard to get out. The other had three cracks across the rubber end. The rail section has two dings on the right side like some prior damage was done to it. The slide block would catch slightly when i slid it back and forth. I am heading back this morning at 9 AM when they open, and not vey happy! I had overheard one of the workers this past spring while in the bow shop trying to sell one to a customer, that he could make a deal on a tac 15 at a dicount because he had obtained some units from PSE with minor blemishes, but still totally functional. I guess I was given one of these. Does anyone Know if a company like PSE would like this secnario? I do not believe so. I am sorry to vent, but I paid over $2000 last fall getting totally set up with this unit, and I did it at this shop. I will let you know the outcome later. Jennie also did mention that if I was to ever replace the cocking string, that I should ensure the knot was sitting down flush within the spooling drum, as the PSE team thinks that this may have been contributing to some of these cocking mechanism issues. I told her that looking at Mine the Knot was not flush. The replacement bow(the broken one) looks to have a new designed spool and the knot hole a little bigger to allow the knot to sit flush. I also want to thank everyone again on this website for all ther information. I have learned A LOT from these members!

Last edited:
Marc here again,
sorry for the late response to my earlier post. I went back to the dealer today when they opened, and when I walked in the guy asked me what was wrong with this one now. There was about 10 people in there already, but I replied that there was no way that the replacement he gave me was a new one. I showed him the problems I posted earlier, and told him about the rail having dings in it. Yesterday it took him 10 minutes to get the replament bow from the back room, today it took him about 2 minutes. The replacement he gave me today was definately new as the original packaging was still intact. I feel it has become a sorry day when you cannot trust your local dealer. I said thank you and walked out for the last time. I just want to say that PSE has been great about the pelacement, and when I call monday to register the new serial number i will thank them again. Thanks again to everyone here for the information. Now I need to get an order put in to len to get some firenocks, and an optimizer. This website has found a new loyal customer for all my Crossbow needs. Thanks again, Marc

Last edited:
Quick up date,
I received my upper part and release back from PSE. Great customer service. They replaced the shaft, bearings, and gear free. I will try to assemble and see how bad my scope got wacked this weekend. Hopefully the windage knob is still workable. Still not sure if I will continue unloading as I have or bring along a target to shot the arrow off at the end of the hunt. Scary to hear that some have had the arrow prematurely shot when caulking or uncaulking. Yet nice to know what to watch out for.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts