Lets talk SLINGS

I'm no backpacker, but I do a lot of walking around during PA's rifle season. I've only used cheap Wal Mart slings, but I want something with lots of adjustability that doesn't slip on the shoulder. I want this on for my long rifles (.270 and 6.5 Swede).

I also have a little, compact Ruger in 350 Legend for hunting down in he Southeast part of the state. For this, I'd like a tactical style sling that I can shoulder the rifle while wearing it. Looking for any recommendations. Quality and functionality are more important that price. TIA.
Do you hunt with a pack on? I do 100 percent of the time so I won't use a sling, they absolutely suck with a pack on. I used the kifaru gunbearer for years and years. It works very well, hands free for glassing, grabbing brush to climb nasty stuff, or using trekking poles etc. But very quick to get yer shootin iron out n shootin.
But this year I tried the Slik Sling from outdoor creative and I like it far better. It puts the rifle right behind the shoulder and has a quick release pull up front. And, this is important to me, you can easily put it back with pack still on. It's only $25 bucks so may as well try one.

I have tried various types of slings, cobra, etc. I end up using a 1.25" nylon strap sling with anti-slip coating at the shoulder area. When using a pack frame, I attach a short piece of tubing into the end of one vertical, pin it into place, and loop the sling over it,

You have to figure out what a sling is for to you. Is it a carrying strap or a shooting aide first? I have used the Murray 1A since...I think the late 80's. I shoot with it on my arm or as a hasty sling. I also shoulder sling the rifle for carry with it. Simple, tough, effective. Can't ask for more.

Do you hunt with a pack on? I do 100 percent of the time so I won't use a sling, they absolutely suck with a pack on. I used the kifaru gunbearer for years and years. It works very well, hands free for glassing, grabbing brush to climb nasty stuff, or using trekking poles etc. But very quick to get yer shootin iron out n shootin.
But this year I tried the Slik Sling from outdoor creative and I like it far better. It puts the rifle right behind the shoulder and has a quick release pull up front. And, this is important to me, you can easily put it back with pack still on. It's only $25 bucks so may as well try one.
I wear a pack most days with the "Bonnie Packer" Safari sling. Put pack on, slip sling over head resting on weak side shoulder. Works Tony-the-Tiger G-R-E-A-T!!!! Can carry rifle supported by sling in patrol ready, on your back, scope up tight under arm pit for max control scope protection, muzzle up/down/right/left. Risk $20 and work with it, give it a try. Most you have at risk is the $20, but think you will learn to appreciate and prefer it. Use them on all my rifles and shotguns....even the Barrett MRADs.

I use a Browning fast adjust sling on my Browning X-Bolt Pro. I can "split" the straps so it can be used as a biathlon style sling. Soon I'll remove the factory sling studs and drill out my stock for QD sockets. Why more companies don't use QD sockets instead of old style sling studs is beyond me.

But I gotta say that MAGPUL makes some VERY good slings. I have a few for my military style guns and they are bullet proof, but maybe too heavy for some hunters.

To prevent your sling or other sling straps from slipping: Try silicone waterproof sealant, I use loctite, but shoe goo makes basically the same thing. Just put a few dabs where it meets your shoulder and where the sling meets your elbow for having to shoot off hand. That cheap Walmart sling will work just fine. I don't like a large padded sling, but I am also not hunting where I have to walk miles and miles. My sling is used for ease of carrying and shooting off hand.

Check out the Boonie-Packer slings. There's a woven-in rubber thread that really works for preventing slippage. Very lightweight as well.

I run a traditional leather sling ( I like the way they look) with a wide part where it rests on your shoulder, the rubber ones get to bouncy with a heavy gun. Anytime I hunt I have my stone glacier pack on my back so I slide the sling up over one of the stays which holds it pretty good. When I am hiking without intent to shoot something I use their gun bearer to strap the rifle tight to the pack.

The last one is a Montana 1" sling, all three of these work great in the mountains! All in the 3 ounce range including the swivels

I also have the Magpul padded sling and a BFG sling. The MS sling has been converted to a 1 point/2 point sling. The BFG sling is a dedicated 2 point sling. I have had shoulder issues so I thought the padded sling would be a necessity but I found I really don't need the padding. Both are excellent options.