LETS TALK SEVENS

elkaholic

IMG_20190410_111919771.jpg
With all the rage on the 6.5's of late, let's discuss the Merits of the 7's, particularly the short actions.
I have noticed a big run on my 7SS lately and these are the common reasons that I hear.
When I run the numbers, I can't find anything else that compares that will run a 180 class bullet with 61 grains of powder in a 2.9" magazine at 3000 fps!
I really like the extra pop of the 7mm coupled with flat trajectory.
It really stacks up well with wind bucking ability coupled with amazing range before going transonic, and the list goes on.
Recently we added a slightly milder little brother with a shorter yet coal and offering smooth feeding in any short mag configuration. When I say slightly milder than the SS, it is still comparable in velocity to a standard saum only at sub 2.9" coal.
Last but not least, big brother Max which is at least the ballistic equivalent of the WSM only with far better design and case life. It will perform best at 3.1" which is what most of the short action competitors should be to perform at their best. The problem is, they still won't keep up with Max!
When you add quality head stamped Sherman (ADG) brass to the mix and reamers and dies in stock, you will be hard pressed to top the 3 Amigos pictured below with the Saum. The rounded shoulder on the Max doesn't really do the case justice. I had to improvise a hydro forming and the fired case will be squared up like the SS only farther forward of where it looks now. You get the idea.

Last edited:
There's a reason why I've always been a fan of the 7mm caliber. And that is because it hits like a .30, has less recoil than a .30, flies fast & flat like a 6.5, but has heavier bullets than a 6.5. Most 7mm bullets have excellent BC's.

Just my personal opinion.

I can't even imagine not having a 7mm, 12GA. and a 22 cal. I could do without all others...not that I would want too though!

I believe that the 7mm,s are probably the most versatile caliber available. with a range of cartridges from the 7 TCU (A 223 necked up to 7 mm) to the 7 mm RUM, You can pick a power level you want and shoot or hunt almost any distance or game.

With bullet weights ranging from 90 grains to 200 grains and well over 100 different brands, styles in different weights that is a huge selection
that allows for the proper bullet and weight for many different powder capacity cartridges.

Recoil on many 7 mm,s is very manageable in the smaller cartridges and can be used from varmints to big game depending need and game to be hunted.

Add to all of this,are all of the fine wildcats in 7 mm, and whats not to like.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I believe that the 7mm,s are probably the most versatile caliber available. with a range of cartridges from the 7 TCU (A 223 necked up to 7 mm) to the 7 mm RUM, You can pick and power level you want and shoot or hunt almost and distance or game.

With bullet weights ranging from 90 grains to 200 grains and well over 100 different brands, styles in different weights that is a huge selection
that allows for the proper bullet and weight for many different powder capacity cartridges.

Recoil on many 7 mm,s is very manageable in the smaller cartridges and can be used from varmints to big game depending need and game to be hunted.

J E CUSTOM
Well stated!

If I go back to a 7mm, I'm pretty sure the SS will get the nod. Especially with headstamped brass. For now, I'm keeping busy with my 6.5 Sherman, 300 and 338 RUM!

I always enjoy seeing the new cartridges rolling out, keep up the good work Rich!

I believe that the 7mm,s are probably the most versatile caliber available. with a range of cartridges from the 7 TCU (A 223 necked up to 7 mm) to the 7 mm RUM, You can pick a power level you want and shoot or hunt almost any distance or game.

J E CUSTOM
This is exactly why my current build is in 7mm (280A.I.). As much as I love the 6.5mm bullets, there's no denying the overwhelming versatility of the 7mm especially in long action and magnum cartridges.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.