LETS TALK SEVENS

One you left out is the 7 mm IHMSA International. It was originally formed from a 300 Savage case, and putting it side-by-side with a 6.5 Creedmoor shows the similarity. The design was by Elgin Gates, for metallic silhouette shooting out of an XP-100 pistol, but it has lots of other applications. I think it's an under appreciated cartridge, maybe that's because I have one! 7 mm IHMSA on the right.

IMG_1950_zpsuyiepscy.jpeg

One you left out is the 7 mm IHMSA International. It was originally formed from a 300 Savage case, and putting it side-by-side with a 6.5 Creedmoor shows the similarity. The design was by Elgin Gates, for metallic silhouette shooting out of an XP-100 pistol, but it has lots of other applications. I think it's an under appreciated cartridge, maybe that's because I have one! 7 mm IHMSA on the right.

Looks like an A.I.

Can't you make similar claims for the .308 caliber?

.300 Blackout to .300 RUM? And I'm guessing guys have necked down everything up to .416 Rigby and .458 Winchester

It is a great little design! Used it a few years during my IHMSA days along with the 7TCU, but sadly, I let it go and kept the 2 TCU's barrels.

I believe that the 7mm,s are probably the most versatile caliber available. with a range of cartridges from the 7 TCU (A 223 necked up to 7 mm) to the 7 mm RUM, You can pick a power level you want and shoot or hunt almost any distance or game.

With bullet weights ranging from 90 grains to 200 grains and well over 100 different brands, styles in different weights that is a huge selection
that allows for the proper bullet and weight for many different powder capacity cartridges.

Recoil on many 7 mm,s is very manageable in the smaller cartridges and can be used from varmints to big game depending need and game to be hunted.

Add to all of this,are all of the fine wildcats in 7 mm, and whats not to like.

J E CUSTOM
Excellent post! I have many calibers from .17 to 50 cal and I agree with you 100%

7mm is my all time favorite caliber. With the new 7mm bullets out there it's really hard to beat them. I believe Broz said "30 cal. Spanking 7mms near and especially far". Well I dont know about elk but when it comes to wind drift, trajectory, retained velocity, and recoil that has been reversed to "7mm. Spanking 30s near and far". Not that I have any bias to the 7mm..... I still like the 300 win mag that we've been playing with though nothing wrong there!

I believe that the 7mm,s are probably the most versatile caliber available. with a range of cartridges from the 7 TCU (A 223 necked up to 7 mm) to the 7 mm RUM, You can pick a power level you want and shoot or hunt almost any distance or game.

With bullet weights ranging from 90 grains to 200 grains and well over 100 different brands, styles in different weights that is a huge selection
that allows for the proper bullet and weight for many different powder capacity cartridges.

Recoil on many 7 mm,s is very manageable in the smaller cartridges and can be used from varmints to big game depending need and game to be hunted.

J E CUSTOM

I have several .280s and I love them. I have a Rem Model 700. When my son became old enough to shoot I bought him a .280 Win Model 70. When my grandson turned 2 (I know, a little young to shoot a .280) I bought in a Rem CDL .280. It was their featured caliber in 2011 I believe. I love that caliber.

J E CUSTOM
J E Custom
I shoot a 300 win Mag reduced down to a 7MM that is accurate enough that I can go down to a prone position and have the scope zeroed in at 200 yards and leave it there for a multitude of shots from 200 to 1000 yards and never need to adjust my scope..

It will shoot flat enough that I can shoot p-dogs at 300 yards or take the head off a TOM turkey at 400. Love my gun
Dallas

When my grandfather, a gunsmith, passed away, I was given his 7mm Express rifle. I only had 30 cal options prior and feel in love with the high bc bullet options available for the 7mm class. Bought a 7mm-08 and 7mm RemMag and now looking at a 7 SS. Was looking at building a 6.5 PRC when I stumbled across this site and the Sherman Wildcats.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.