LETS TALK SEVENS

Just to illustrate my point from above, I keep a list of the popular bullets from major manufactures handy to make sure inputs are correct in calculators. This is my list sorted for highest g1 bc first. Now this is only the major manufactures and it is published data so take it for what it's worth, but it still shows that the highest 6.5 bullet available is about 17th on this list, lots of 7mm bullets above it and you can see the trend that the larger the diameter the higher the BC's get. .338 are higher on average than .30. .30 are higher than 7mm, 7mm are higher than 6.5.

View attachment 258058

Nice spreadsheet. Thanks for sharing.

What bullets in 6.5 have a higher bc than the 7's? In the Berger line the highest bc 6.5 bullet is the 153.5 at .69. Berger has a couple 180 7mm bullets that are right in the same ball park and the 190 and 195 are both over .75. Hornady's highest bc 6.5 is the 153 atip at .704, the 7mm 180 eldm is .777 and the 190 atip is .838. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I'm not aware of a 6.5 bullet that has a higher bc than the best 7's. You have to get into the heavy .30 and .338's to find higher bc's.
Comparing my 2 hunting rifles, a 264WM 1:8" 29" barrelled custom and my 7STW, with standard 1:9.25" twist, the 142gr ABLR has a higher BC than a 168gr ABLR.
I was not comparing the best 7's as you put it.
I should have said that the 264 bullets have better BC when looking at the standard hunting bullet weights, not the heavies.
I know I can push a 180 in my STW, but do I need to?
I know, and have, pushed 230's in my 300WM's, but it is slow in comparison to a 210.
What can easily push a 7mm 195 at or close to 3000fps?
I don't know about everyone else, but I have stated this here many times, I have a limit for banging stuff at long distances, if the bullet used cannot reach 3000fps at the muzzle, I find another that will in the intended cartridge/rifle. This is my absolute minimum speed to start with.
My 6.5x47 is good to 1000, as that was what it was designed for, but I max out with it at 600 for mid range F-class and Hunter class.
Anyway, this discussion is moot, with the non-existent supply of hardware (bullets/brass/primers/powder) we have to shoot what we can get.
No more Berger's to be had here as the importer has dropped the bundle and run.

Cheers.

It is this very reason that I ended up choosing the 7SST as my go-to, do-it-all hunting cartridge. I figure the 7SST will easily cover all my hunting needs unless / until I get into really big or dangerous game.
I have been looking at the Sherman's too. Why did you choose the SST over the SS?

I have been looking at the Sherman's too. Why did you choose the SST over the SS?
To be perfectly honest I found someone who had bought the die set and 150 pieces of brass (about $450 invested) and he changed his mind on the build so I picked all that up still new in the box for $250. In theory the 30° shoulder should feed a little better but I don't think I've ever heard anyone have issues feeding with the 40° SS shoulder. I think the SS is supposed to run around 50fps (give or take) faster than the SST but getting the dies and brass for about half retail was worth the 50fps to me! lol

To be perfectly honest I found someone who had bought the die set and 150 pieces of brass (about $450 invested) and he changed his mind on the build so I picked all that up still new in the box for $250. In theory the 30° shoulder should feed a little better but I don't think I've ever heard anyone have issues feeding with the 40° SS shoulder. I think the SS is supposed to run around 50fps (give or take) faster than the SST but getting the dies and brass for about half retail was worth the 50fps to me! lol
The dollar is a powerful motivator! I am leaning towards the 7SS and don't expect to find anyone giving up brass on any of those calibers anytime soon. :(:mad: I am looking at getting one made and then going to a couple long range courses, but those things need a couple hundred rounds. It is going to take me some time, maybe 4 years if you know what I mean, to be able to get that much brass. I have the bullets, powder and primers ready to go.

Rich had brass and die, not at the moment. Limit 50 and must buy die set together to prevent people from making multiple orders. 7SAUM brass is a good alternative, I will start looking. Midway is out at the moment. Thanks!

It looks like Rich has 7SST dies in stock but no brass. I think the 6.5 SST brass he has in stock can simply be necked up to 7 but you'd have to confirm that with him.

Long bullets. No caliber has an advantage with all things equal but the bigs have more. 131 25 has a bc of .660. The 156 6.5 not quite as good. The 197 7mm better. The 250 30 better. The 300 338 about the same. Power and ability to handle recoil. Pick your poison

It looks like Rich has 7SST dies in stock but no brass. I think the 6.5 SST brass he has in stock can simply be necked up to 7 but you'd have to confirm that with him.
I believe all his head stamped brass has a 7mm neck and has to be necked up or down from that. He mentioned in another thread that you can use 338SS for the 7SS.

Funny, how the high BC bandwagon ONLY concerns 7mm's.
Funny how there are offerings in 6.5 that have much higher BC's and there are, of course, much higher BC's offered in 30, 33, 37 and 41.
I get the love, but don't kid yourselves that the 7's rule.
My 29" barrelled 264WM runs rings around my 7STW....just saying.
Just this past weekend, witnessed a sub MOA 10 shot group from a 6mm at 600mtr. Quite impressed, but it ain't gonna make me go and build one....just saying.

Cheers.
I could definitely use some help! So what Bullets 168gr and above are you shooting in your 264 WM I use the 156 EOL's in my 26 Nosler but they are way too light!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts